News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Back on the Road in the 49 Limousine

Started by jaxops, September 16, 2017, 07:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

Lots of work to do still but the 1949 Cadillac made it to our 7th Annual AOH Car Show in Virginia Beach last weekend.  I haven't decided what to do with the white top but we did complete:
- Brake overhaul
- Wheel bearings
- New radiator
- New timing chain
- Repaired the bolt attachment piece in the oil pan and new oil pan seals
- Transmission seals
- Rear differential seals
- Drive train link seal
- New hoses and belts
- Sway bar replacements

After driving it we still need all new shocks and leaf springs.  It did a lot of bouncing.  Lots of pep in that 331 engine. 

Still working on:
- Repairing hydraulic line to left side windows
- New window cylinders and springs for right side windows
- window seals and gaskets
- Undercarriage bushings

Once we get through that we will look to stabilize the rust underneath especially under the spare tire area.  Last step would be either paint repairs or a new paint job.  I have to wait on that and how to clean the interior without ruining it further, or replace everything inside (OI!) for now.  Lots of rust underneath on this car too.

Car history: Originally owned by Mildred Vere-Smith in Palm Beach and Hampton New York; COL Howard Cox bought the car in the mid-1960s and used it in both Palm Beach and Hampton, NY. My father purchased the car from him in the Hamptons around 1970 and after having it repaired, used it as a daily driver through the 1980s.  It went on to my brother in Carlisle, PA until he had it sent to me in VA Beach.  As a note, none other than President Reagan (Balisican) from Smart VA Auto is doing the repairs and planning the paint repair or restoration. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

James Landi

THat white roof is a stand-out--- likely kept your family cool in the mid-Atlantic summer sun.  How I wish I had maintained several of my parents' Cadillacs... sold for pennies on the dollar, and thereafter, likely were neglected and abused and then sent to the bone yard.  She is one beautiful automobile --- congratulations on preserving an important piece of your family's heritage.    James

Jay Friedman

Great '49 limo.  How about some pics of the interior and the engine compartment?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Lexi

Mark she looks beautiful. Nice to see another grand old lady kept on the road. Clay/Lexi

TonyZappone #2624

Sold my '49 7519 to Irv Rothman of Roaring 20's Auto sales around 1969.  Wondered where it ended up.  Can be distinguished by '46 wheelcovers, (you couldn't find the '49 deep dish anywhere), or plate them either then.  Moreover, it had a vacuum antenna from something else that hung down below the fender, farther than the proper one.   It was really a nice car.  Has anyone seen one like this?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jaxops

Here is the pair of limousines before the Hershey show in 2008.  Also a front seat photo.
1979 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

I will get some shots of the back seat too.  Here's my brother and the '49 in Carlisle, PA.
1979 Lincoln Continental