News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Lasalle; Working the bugs out - Charging system

Started by 39LaSalleCaddad, September 16, 2017, 10:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

39LaSalleCaddad

New battery, rebuilt starter.  Drive around the neighborhood come home.  Barely turns over.  I'm assuming the next step is to have the generator rebuilt?

tripwire

It's your call but I'd be wanting to test a few things first.  It would be easy enough to connect a voltmeter or ammeter to see if the generator is working at all.  In your other posts you mentioned some bad wiring, perhaps the wiring to the voltage regulator is bad?  Have you looked at all the connections; disconnect, clean, reattach?
If you don't know how to test these things there are plenty of posts on this forum or a google search will reveal the info you need.

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Wes is right on when he said to check & clean connections. What gage are your battery cables? Recommended cables using 00 welding cable. Do not use most battery cables sold at auto stores as they are made using the smaller gage cable to use on 12 volt.  I like to ground to one of the starter bolts. I would make sure you have clean connections and are using the correct gage, even remove the starter and clean where the starter attaches to the bell housing.    Bill

39LaSalleCaddad

Thanks for the feedback. I cut back the wires to the starter and put new connections. Did not check VR connections. Will do today. Also buyin a voltmeter.  I should have sanded the bell housing I just wiped it with a rag. Made a 00 positive cable for it and ran 12 gauge wire forcstarter connects.
Drove her around town the other night ...  what a dream!

39LaSalleCaddad

pulled the negative battery terminal and it dies right away after cleaning contacts.  Off to overhaul the generator.  That's what that mean right?

tripwire

If you tried that with the car idling it doesn't mean a thing.  Generators rarely provide any charge at idle speed.  If you try it with the car at, say 1500 rpm or more you might get a different result. 

Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan