News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does this sound legit to you?

Started by z3skybolt, September 19, 2017, 07:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

I contacted a supplier concerning cam/idler gears for my 1940/346 engine.  I asked him about the metallurgy of his gears as the originals were Bronze and his are advertised as being of brass.

This was his response:    "The idler gears are made of the right stuff......with all of them we have sold thru the years .....we’ve never had one fail or be returned.....the remaining ones are 500.00 each....they were made in North Hollywood California......pretty soon we will only have used ones to sell......"

Does NORTH HOLLYWOOD  ring a bell with anyone concerning these idler gears?  What do you think of his response?

Thanks,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

gkhashem

Well bronze is stronger than brass and more corrosion resistant.

Plus bronze is more expensive. This would seem to imply brass is an inferior and cheaper choice. But the gears need to work with the other so I am not sure how this would end up.

But this is a complex issue above my level, here is an old forum post on the topic.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=106220.0

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)