News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Always something to work on....comments invited.

Started by z3skybolt, September 26, 2017, 09:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

Such fun.  Finally got my 1940 LaSalle back on the road after a 9 month wait to get the engine rebuilt.  The engine is smooth, powerful and reasonably quiet.  So I have put about 250 miles on it and completed the initial break in.

Yesterday while driving along the car began to pull heavily to the right.   That was surprising as it had always tracked perfectly straight. When I got home I noticed the car listing heavily to the right. Probably about a 15/20 degree sag.  Crawled under the car and all I could find was that  top end bolt on the link of the right rear shock absorber was threaded out about 1/2 inch and seemed to be bent a bit.  The nut was tight. Bit the attachment bolt itself was "unscrewed" out a bit from within the the link itself.    The left rear link was snug and tight at both the top and bottom ends.  I was unable to tighten the end nut as there was heavy resistance and I was afraid of breaking the arm from the shock itself.

It is hard for me to believe that the shock absorber itself could be allowing the car to sag that much.  Casual observation would make one think that the leaf spring itself was broken.  When inspecting it the right leaf does appear to be sitting flatter than the left one....but no obvious breaks.

Is it possible that the spring has just weakened?  Could the shock be allowing the car to sag?  We are leaving on vacation in a couple of days and no time to consult a shop until returning.  Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks.

bob

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

harry s

Bob, It sounds like the rear spring shackle on the more arched spring has "flipped". If that is the case it can be re positioned by jacking up the chassis and placing a bar between the spring eye and mounting bracket and pulling the shackle backward while lowering the jack. This condition happens when the car is raised without the axle being supported.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

z3skybolt

Thank you Harry.

Went back to the shop that installed the engine. Told them my problem, tried to show them your response. Before I could utter a word Ted knew exactly what was wrong.  He knew the very technique that you described. Worked like a charm and I was back on the road within 10 minutes.  The LaSalle tracks straight as an arrow and corners normally now.  No more sagging.

Just another example of how the tools, equipment, knowledge and procedures have changed over the years...creating problems that can seem baffling to the uneducated..  The lifts of old were normally driven upon and then raised. That supported the axles and prevented the flipping of the leaf spring shackle.  Now most lifts, including the one my mechanic has, lift only via the frame and let the suspension dangle.  Thus a problem arises.

You know all of this. I am just posting for the benefit of other novices such as myself. It was so simple that I feel almost stupid. I am learning O.K.?  Simple little bits at a time. Maybe one day I can help another as you have helped me.

Thank you Harry for solving a problem that I had worried about for a couple of days.  You are a treasure.

bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Steve Passmore

There have been threads about this before Bob. I keep two wooden wedges handy and drive them into the shackle before lifting the car. 37 and 38 had a bracket attached to the chassis at this point to prevent the shackles going forward. Could never understand why they discontinued it.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

Bob, Thanks for the kind words. Believe me I have done my share of "head scratching" over the years.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum