News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kevlar brake lining & brake pads 1971 Eldorado

Started by NORTHPORTGUY, October 03, 2017, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORTHPORTGUY

OK I admit I'm a fan of the TV show Wheeler Dealer. 

In an episode i caught recently Edd China raved about the high coefficient of friction for brake drums and presumably brake pads made from kevlar.   He cautioned  they were not as long lasting but I reckon at 2000 miles annually at most I can take a chance.   A quick on line search gave me the impression these were available for my car.   any members have experience using these brake pads or linings made form kevlar?    . are they better at stopping the car?   any side issues like brake squeal or excessive dust, etc.?    thanks

Ken Wiebke

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have not heard of Kevlar brake pads in years. They were heavily promoted in the 70's when asbestos was being phased out.

Other than that, I don't know much about them. I think that Kevlar was a DuPont product, but am not sure. If the patent has expired, it could be in wide use now without the name being used.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have a '73 Eldorado that I've owned since new.  I always used
standard brake pads (organic) since I don't drive it much.  However,
due to the annual estimated mileage you mentioned think this type
would work nicely for you.

The brake surface areas are more than large enough to accommodate
a standard brake pad.  No need to move to move to Kevlar, which I,
am not sure would offer you any advantage.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region