News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do I add an aux input to my 56?

Started by gatech1956, September 29, 2017, 08:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatech1956

Title says it all. Looking to play some music from the era through my phone.

Bobby B

They make all sorts of adaptors. Just Google it, or check out some good sites below. Good luck!
                                                                 Bobby

https://www.retromanufacturing.com

http://www.classiccarstereos.com

http://www.vintagecarradio.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Chuck Swanson

I had Robert rebuild two stock radios, one for my 65 and for my 66.  He added aux jacks.  Great job!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/precision-stereo-repair-marcy
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Dan LeBlanc

I used a device called the RediRad. No need to remove the radio. Unplug the antenna lead from the radio. Plug in the lead from the RediRad into the antenna port. Plug the antenna into the RediRad. 12v positive and ground connections. Put it out of site. Run the cord. Be done with it. I've had mine for 4 years now with no issues. They have also improved them since then.

The way it works is that when it detects a signal from a device it disconnects the antenna and converts the signal from your phone to an AM signal into the radio. Tune the radio to the RediRad frequency and that's it. Installation takes about 15 minutes. Longer if beer is involved.

They have them for AM and FM. Positive and negative ground. I believe there's also a 6v version.

Mine is the AM version. Now that I have an am/FM car I may switch it out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bob Kielar

RediRad is the way to go.. Designed and built in Milwaukee Wi. Around $100.00 you can't beat it.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

MickeyCaddy

I have a RediRad in my '55 - I installed it easily myself, and I'm no expert wrencher. The rest of my Cadillac's radio/audio system is unrestored factory original except for the rear speaker.

An iPod Shuffle lives in the ashtray, and I set a pushbutton on the radio that jumps to the RediRad transmission frequency. The iPod/RediRad combo works flawlessly and is invisible.

The audio cable is long enough to pull out of the ashtray; it extends well onto the front seat, so you can plug in anything else with a mini-jack (1/8" stereo): a smartphone, a tablet, a CD player, etc.

I'm very satisfied!

gatech1956

Thanks guy! I was at a car show last month and a guy told me about redi rad but I couldn't remember the name until now.

gatech1956

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on September 30, 2017, 08:57:11 PM
I have a RediRad in my '55 - I installed it easily myself, and I'm no expert wrencher. The rest of my Cadillac's radio/audio system is unrestored factory original except for the rear speaker.

An iPod Shuffle lives in the ashtray, and I set a pushbutton on the radio that jumps to the RediRad transmission frequency. The iPod/RediRad combo works flawlessly and is invisible.

The audio cable is long enough to pull out of the ashtray; it extends well onto the front seat, so you can plug in anything else with a mini-jack (1/8" stereo): a smartphone, a tablet, a CD player, etc.

I'm very satisfied!

I'm assuming you got the one that requires a negative ground electrical system?

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

MickeyCaddy

Yes, the negative ground unit is correct for 1955. Easy to install; I tapped the "Radio" lead near the fuse panel for the hot wire (positive), and since the car's entire chassis is the ground, the RediRad's negative lead can be attatched to any nearby sheet metal screw.
That's why all the light bulbs only have a one-wire connection: the entire chassis is the negative terminal. Same goes for the rear speaker - only one wire.
On the 1955 models, anyway...they sure did things differently back then!

gatech1956

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on October 02, 2017, 02:46:02 AM
Yes, the negative ground unit is correct for 1955. Easy to install; I tapped the "Radio" lead near the fuse panel for the hot wire (positive), and since the car's entire chassis is the ground, the RediRad's negative lead can be attatched to any nearby sheet metal screw.
That's why all the light bulbs only have a one-wire connection: the entire chassis is the negative terminal. Same goes for the rear speaker - only one wire.
On the 1955 models, anyway...they sure did things differently back then!

So I ran into small problem. Got it hooked up and everything and got my phone to play music through the speakers. But it won't cutover to normal am when I unplug my phone

Dan LeBlanc

How long did you wait after unplugging?  May be a defective unit?  Mine sometimes takes a few seconds. That's so that the unit doesn't inadvertently cut out while playing a low volume part of a sing
Dan LeBlanc

gatech1956

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 07, 2017, 03:22:32 PM
How long did you wait after unplugging?  May be a defective unit?  Mine sometimes takes a few seconds. That's so that the unit doesn't inadvertently cut out while playing a low volume part of a sing

well I unplugged and plugged in the antenna cords and did the classic turn it off and on again and starting getting AM again. What's weird is that when i stuffed away the aux cord back in the glove box the AM frequency came back faster. The AM goes away when I start fumbling with the aux cord. Guess it just takes a few minutes for it switch over from the AM signal to the phone or vice versa. Otherwise, nice product. It's cool hearing Dean Martin or Sinatra through an old AM radio like that. My car is practically a time machine now.