News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac fins on custom cars.

Started by Quentin Hall, September 30, 2017, 04:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

I know some of you may frown on anything that isn't about authentic and correct restoration. I have crossed over to the other side and now that I understand the historical perspective, and the back and forth between the Detroit styling studios and backyard customisers. I think this is really interesting and legitimate. . . . Plus Rik Hoving is a good mate and passionate. Hope you enjoy this.
https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/customizing-with-early-cadillac-tail-fins/
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

James Landi

Impressive and thank you.  I am especially mindful knowing just how much work a few individuals will perform to create a personal design and artistic expression-- a work of "rolling art," involving so much detail dedicated to both form and function.  Clearly , we all must be respectful of those who dedicate so much of themselves and their resources to making a personal statement for all to see and evaluate... to put a finer point on it-- in my estimation, this kind of work is an art form worthy of respectful consideration that adds aesthetic  richness and variety to our conversation.

Scot Minesinger

Thanks for posting, really beautiful work.  As is most always the case, customizing done to make the car better without strict attention to budget usually produces pleasing results.  Customizing done for budget reasons only, which is much more common, has given non-authentic cars a bad name.  We just have to be careful not to lump all customizing in the same category.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

gary griffin

This was a pleasant stroll down memory lane. I was born in 1940 and got my drivers license in 1956. The mid 50's bolt on fins were seen quite often in Seattle.  I went to auto show in fall of 1950 and fell in love with the fins on the 1957 Fleetwiood. It was many years and many cars and trucks later that I finally ended up with one.

Living in the poor part of Seattle we did not see the great customs shown in this post and did what we could to make out cars more attractive.  I remember putting fake white walls on my 1936 Ford for example.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

tripwire

The beat goes on...

While the idea of chopping up a Cadillac to use the parts on another car might upset a number of people here it seems there are still people out there doing just that.

This particular fellow lives in upstate NY and makes all kinds of art from car parts, wood and found items. 

And yes, I know the fins are not Caddy.

https://fabulousfurnitureon28.com/

Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

tozerco

John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Jeepers Creepers

New Wally World Wagon for the Griswold's.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

cadillac ken

I don't get it.  For what he probably spent to build that car he could have put together a nice 1960 Cadillac -- since it seems that was the look he was going for.

tripwire

Probably because he's got one of these...
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Jeepers Creepers

I love a good custom car in the right proportions and balance...... that isn't one of them.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia