News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac 62

Started by terrycedar, October 01, 2017, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrycedar

Hi,

I am assembling the steering box and there is a part #18.0525 RETAINER, SECTOR SHAFT PACKING that I do not remember having taken off.  I have attached a schematic showing the part at the top of the pitman shaft and just prior to pitman control arm.  I have also attached a photo prior to taking off frame.
I would appreciate any assistance you can give me on this. 

Thank you!!

Terry

Bobby B

Terry,
  Hi....From the looks of it, it looks like the grease seal for the shaft. On my '47 it was a real thin ring (retainer) with a felt type seal that was in the recess. I think they're showing it as 2 pieces in the diagram. Is that what's confusing you?
                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

terrycedar

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your reply!!  I am confused because I have the Grease retaining packing which goes into the recess and up against the bronze bushing. That is called a 18.0505 Packing, Grease retaining.  This other part shown is the part I am confused about.  I looked the parts up and you have the same for your '47.  If you are saying you only have the grease retaining seal, that makes sense to me as I cannot figure out what the purpose is for the sector shaft packing retainer.  Thoughts?

Once again, thank you Bobby.  You will probably be hearing a lot from me as I start assembling my 49 convertible. I just hope I can find all the pieces.

Terry