News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Valve cover gaskets

Started by dplotkin, October 01, 2017, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplotkin

Who has the best valve cover gaskets?

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Bobby B

Dan,
I have had great luck with Fel-Pro and Best brand gaskets. Although there are so many types for valve covers, I find the best ones are still cork with a thin coat of Permatex #2, Aviation, or Gasgacinch on one side only (valve cover side) when installing. It keeps it lined up, sealed, and you can always remove it if you need to get back in there. In my opinion the Rubber ones suck, and wind up leaking, even if you tighten them evenly. They have modern cork ones that have a metal spacer where the bolts go to kind of act as a stop so you don't over tighten them and cause a leak. I always go easy, and snug them up later on, only if they leak. Some guys use silicone or RTV, but I've never had any luck with either. Lots of opinions on the subject I'm sure. Hope this Helps!
                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Caddy Wizard

I only use Best brand.  Make sure the valve covers are straight and flat.  Hammer the areas around the holes back flat.  DON'T overtighten!
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

TJ Hopland

I too have not had much luck with rubber and they don't make the metal/cork ones for many older apps so cork seems to be the way to go.    Like Art said check and repair around the holes, they are usually dented down.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dplotkin

56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Caddy Wizard

I have once or twice also run into a situation where the replacement gaskets weren't quite thick enough and when you ran the screws down, a part of the cover hit the head and prevented the gasket from getting squeezed properly.  But that is unusual.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

TJ Hopland

There is something to that.   You can have crud like sillycone down in the holes so the bolts bottom out before they actually put pressure on the cover and gasket or you could have the wrong bolts.  One way to test for that problem is to test fit it without the gasket.   If all the bolts will snug up with no gasket then when you add the thickness of the gasket there should be plenty of clearance.

Regular bolts with regular flat washers don't stay tight.  Should be some sort of washer with teeth or better yet the type of bolt that has the toothed washer as part of the head.   If you can get the spreader washers to fit you application those help even out the pressure.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddy Wizard

I will sometimes use blue thread locker on the screws to keep them from working loose. 
Art Gardner

cadman56

To get to the valve covers on a 56 you have to remove a lot of stuff and worse with factory ac.  I clean both valve covers and heads with lacquer thinner.  And make sure the cover is flat as mentioned earlier.  After cleaning with lacquer thinner again I use gasket shellac on both side of the gasket.  I know it glues them down hard but then the valves on a 56 are non adjustable.  No leaks ever.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

walt chomosh #23510

Dan,
  Both my son and I (both mechanics) have struggled sealing valve covers, both on cars and Harleys(panheads). That is, until we discovered Permatex's "the right stuff". Cost more then silicone but pretty much foolproof....it works...no leaks...walt...tulsa,ok