News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 CADDY FRONT SPRING PLACEMENT

Started by 1969cadillac, October 02, 2017, 05:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

Hello out there .

I am installing front springs in my 69 limo

The left spring went in easily and is in the correct place - pics 3 and 4 - the lower part of the spring is flush with the front of the lower wishbone

The right spring was a different story.... it would NOT seat properly at the top and was too close to the front of the inside of the tower....

I finally got it in the correct spot except that the lower part of the spring is NOT flush with the end of the wishbone .

Q . will this matter ?? there is still a fair bit of the spring on the lower wishbone.

I am reluctant to take it all apart again in case I cant get the spring to sit correctly at the top ..

ideas please ? Murray Mules

klinebau

I had a similar fight with the right-side spring when I replaced mine on the '70.  I ended up using a spring compressor to allow me to position the top of the spring correctly.  As far as the location of the bottom the spring, the service manual states that the end of the spring should be flush to one inch forward on the right side.  I think you are good!

From the service manual:
Top of the spring must seat within the five depressions on frame tower, and bottom end must be flush to one inch back of the front of the left lower arm, or flush to one inch forward of the back of right lower arm.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

1969cadillac

Thanks Kurt for your help , that is a BIG relief for me !!

Murray Mules