News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Self Starter getting destroyed in mail.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, October 02, 2017, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

And the Self Starter is available online.  ALWAYS fresh and uncreased....
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

gkhashem

That's true and if you would like the digital version only your dues is $35.00 per year.

Eric has paid for first class mail and the post office is treating first class mail like junk mail.

He did pay an extra $20.00 for first class mail, so I fail to see your point on this one? If he wanted it online, he would pay the lower dues.

I think we get a great value for what we pay and I would not mind paying an extra $20.00 a year for dues.  In today's world I cannot even go out for a nice dinner for $20.00

An excerpt from the CLC membership application.

Annual Membership Dues the self-starter/Directory Delivery Options
                                                                                                                                                                    1 yr.     2 yrs.    3 yrs.

UNITED STATES First-Class Mail/Printed Directory optional plus the self-starter Online                               $55     $109      $163
Periodical Mail/Printed Directory optional                                                                                                       40         79        118
USA AND WORLDWIDE the self-starter and Directory Online Only, no printed magazine & Directory            35         65          90
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The 1957 catalog is online too.  If your original hard copy was crushed, would it matter to you? 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Not on one side or the other, but how is this not a post office question?  What responsibility do they have?

Is it that the (open) pages get caught up in their machines?

Perhaps three easy to remove peel & stick stickers on each of the three open sides to keep the pages "closed" during the mailing process?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

I didn't like my magazine style mail getting folded to fit in the post box so I made my own, with a wide mouth to accept the un-folded versions.

Even the spiders like it.

Sorry there isn't a Cadillac in the picture, but it was parked some distance behind it.

Bruce.  >:D

PS.   Like a lot of things, some things we cannot control.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brett Baird

My Self Starter seems to survive delivery each month, but here's what some 1941 Cadillac new car documents I found on eBay looked like after my mailman crammed them in my mailbox. How come he couldn't have mis-delivered them to my neighbor on the other street's less full mailbox like he usually does with my other mail? 
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Glen

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on October 03, 2017, 08:43:44 AM
The problem is upstream from the local PO.

That may be true, but your first contact is your post office supervisor.  If that does not work then write to your local postmaster.  Keep going up the chain of command.  The way your mail is arriving is not acceptable.  If it happens once, well things happen.  But for it to arrive like that repeatedly is not (or at least should not be) acceptable to the post office.   Be sure to show them all the ones that came mangled so they understand it is not a one off.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

76eldo

Barry

No one is blaming the editors here. We are blaming the post office. Clearly something has changed.
I have gotten the SS for years with no damaged. Now every month I get mine and it looks like it gets caught up in a machine.

A already pay more for first class delivery and would gladly pay a little more for the plastic wrap.

Somehow the weekly junk mail in a loose assortment of crap gets to me unscathed but the SS gets beat up for the last few months.

Plastic wrap would end that.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Steve Passmore

Quote from: gkhashem on October 03, 2017, 07:33:48 PM

I think we get a great value for what we pay and I would not mind paying an extra $20.00 a year for dues

$20??  Not taking sides here but the argument about how costly it would be has little substance.   I just did a quick search on eBay and the best deal I found was just $6 for 100 plastic mailing pouches.  On that reckoning, each member's dues would rise just a few cents.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gkhashem

Quote from: 49er on October 04, 2017, 07:11:44 AM
George, you can still go to Burger King. 18.50 for 2 and you dont have to leave a tip. A real bargain !!

Art at my age I cannot eat that stuff without getting some heartburn!

Only to be young again and eat anything I desire in any quantity. That and buy any nice car I see too. My wants are very simple at this age.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Art Director

This issue comes up occasionally with the Publications Committee and yes, it's the Postal Service mangling the mail. I've been a CLC member over 23 years and can count on one hand the number of mangled issues I've received in Colorado.

The cost? Our printer quotes us $700 per month extra if all magazines are sent out in plastic bags. That equates to $7,700 per year extra your club would have to spend. The CLC Office gets a supply of about 25 issues each month that can be mailed as replacements. I can guarantee the postage spent mailing out replacement issues is far less than $7,700 per year. Foreign members get their magazines in bags and envelopes due to postal requirements in other countries. The Buick Club of America has an anonymous donor that pays for the bags on their magazine.

Good news - if you subscribe Periodical Class to The Self-Starter and you requested that a print copy of the membership directory be sent to you, both the November-December issue and the directory will be inserted into a plastic bag, as both must go together for the largest possible postal discount. First Class members will receive the print directory (if they opted in) and their magazine separate, as the directory must be sent as bulk rate.

Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

chrisntam

And we now know the......rest of the story!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Quote from: Art Director on October 07, 2017, 05:05:46 AM
Our printer quotes us $700 per month extra if all magazines are sent out in plastic bags. That equates to $7,700 per year extra your club would have to spend. The CLC Office gets a supply of about 25 issues each month that can be mailed as replacements. I can guarantee the postage spent mailing out replacement issues is far less than $7,700 per year.

If total CLC membership is 7,700, the increase in membership dues would equate to $1 per member per year to cover the cost of bagging the magazine. Just a thought.

mistertudball

This just arrived in my mailbox and I'd have to say about half come this way or worse.  I'm not complaining nor do I want a replacement because I think I pay the periodical dues rate, I can still read and enjoy each issue, and I don't save them.  But I DO find it odd that all the other junk catalogs that come regularly are 100% pristine.  What up with that?
David Bartosic CLC19619

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think you will find that the junk mail is locally delivered by non-postal employees.

Bruce .  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 10, 2017, 06:18:32 PM
I think you will find that the junk mail is locally delivered by non-postal employees.

Bruce .  >:D

I think the point is that the local PO is not the culprit therefore little to be gained by complaining to them.

Point 2: $1 per year per member seems a relative bargain for 10 or 11 issues to be wrapped. I'd happily pay 10x that for the Self Starter to arrive in excellent condition consistently.

Glen

As I said in reply #26 above.  The local PO is first contact.  Take it up the chain. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Quote from: Glen on October 11, 2017, 01:26:31 AM
As I said in reply #26 above.  The local PO is first contact.  Take it up the chain.

::)

Glen

OK so you don’t really want to solve the problem.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104