News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Carb fuel bowl level

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, October 02, 2017, 10:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

1955 with the Rochester 4-jet.
Rebuilt the carb and set the floats to spec. I have run the car and have driven it up to about 45 mph. Carb seems ok and idles smoothly (which makes me happy because I haven't rebuilt a carb since hi school). The accelerator pump wasn't working so I pulled the top off. Here is the level in the bowl marked by the screwdriver tip. The car had just run so this would be the full level as the floats shut them off. It just seems low just looking at it. Is this a normal level?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Caddy Wizard

Looks a little low to me.  Look at the inspection screw on the right side of bowl. I believe that the fuel level should be at the bottom of the inspection hole, typically.

Float levels need to be set, it looks like.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

R S Steven

How much will the fuel level rise when the floats are placed in the bowl?  To me it looks like the real level is higher when the carburetor is together from the coloring of the walls of the float bowl.
Cheers,
R. S. Steven

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, that is true. Floats will displace fuel and raise the level. Good point.
I don't know that I trust the stain lines on the bowl, however. This was sitting for years and it was held onto the manifold with a whole tube of RTV..... I can't guarantee it was correct before.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

D.Yaros

Quote from: R S Steven on October 03, 2017, 10:17:50 AM
How much will the fuel level rise when the floats are placed in the bowl?  To me it looks like the real level is higher when the carburetor is together from the coloring of the walls of the float bowl.
Cheers,
R. S. Steven
To that one might add:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

To that one might add:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
[/quote]
That is the problem. I don't know if it's broke or not. I have only driven it a total of 6 miles with very gentle acceleration. I would not have touched it yet but I am in it for the accelerator pump issue. I figured I would ask on the level before I put the top back on.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Caddy Wizard

Heck, just double-check the float measurement.  If it is in spec, button this back up and don't worry about it.  If you are still concerned, run the engine for a bit and then shut it off.  Remove the inspection screw and look at the fuel.  Like I said, it should be close to the bottom of the inspection hole...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok. I am sorry to have to ask this........ What/Where is the inspection screw?
Is it this?
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS