News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheel bolt pattern for 1979 Caddilac Eldorado is it 5X4.75 / 5X120.65??

Started by nanaimogene, October 06, 2017, 11:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanaimogene

I would like to install a set of polished alloy race type rims. This will be 15 inch, no 17 to 20 wheels which is not for me. 15"wheels using stock tires. Stupid as it
may sound but Eldorado's come with front and rear disc brakes. I would like to brightly paint the calipers plus exposing the shine of the rotors. Caddy engineers were no dummies back in 1979. Prices on the fancy rims have come way down. My research shows 5X4.75 or 5X120.65 bolt pattern...is this correct?? Will my stock radial tires fit a 6 or 7 inch  wide rims ?  No local sellers here have 15" wheels for me to try since they don't stock them. In fact a 1979 is Vintage to them.  Thanks Gene

TJ Hopland

I'm pretty sure the 4.75 is correct.   The previous larger Eldo was 5 as were the RWD cars.

There were alloy wheels available for the Eldo.  Most I have seen are the 'turbine' style that doesn't expose the brakes.  85 there was 'aluminum wheel'  and 'spoked aluminum wheel' options listed.   Not sure what the spoke version looked like.

Be sure to post pictures if/when you do it.  You see large wheels on those cars not 15's so I would be curious to see how they look.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Those wheels have a much different offset than RWD; be sure replacements do
too.  Or, the steering geometry will be messed up, maybe even hit the fenders. 
Bruce Roe

nanaimogene

This will be my fall / winter project by measuring inside and out for clearance's . Youtube shows its not that easy unless you get it bang on. My Eldorado will take one tire size larger without rubbing fender. Bruce is right FWD is RWD is  a big difference.  However I do like the current factory alloy Eldorado wheels. If I do succeed and get it right I will post it with pix. 15 inch wheels only.

TJ Hopland

I believe the offset of the 79-85's was in the realm of what became typical FWD so its possible there are standard wheels that fit.   I think that range of offset is also common for many smaller 4x4 so there may even be something in a 15 that exists.  It was the 66-78 that was more like a dually truck. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 07, 2017, 09:25:08 PM
I believe the offset of the 79-85's was in the realm of what became typical FWD so its possible there are standard wheels that fit.   I think that range of offset is also common for many smaller 4x4 so there may even be something in a 15 that exists.  It was the 66-78 that was more like a dually truck. 

That would be 1967 - 1978. As TJ says 79 & later are much closer to what would become regular FWD offset rims.

120.65mm = 4.75in.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike