News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

engine oil

Started by Keith Carlson, October 20, 2020, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Carlson

1940 La Salle model 50    What oil is recommended, and what filter can fit into the existing can, or can be fitted to replace it?   Have shop manual and have ordered owners' manual, but cannot anywhere find the oil capacity.   Many tks from a new owner.

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

It's 7 quarts. Originally non-detergent motor oil was used. It's wise to drain the hot oil, remove the oil pan, clean the oil pump pick up screen, replace the gasket then use a good oil with zinc already in it such as this:Lucas Hot Rod and Classic Car Motor Oil. Many use Shell Rotella 15W40 as well. DON'T use engine flushes or any other "remidies"  If you have the shop manual all the info is in the "lubrication" section, Page 71 for 1940. Capacities are on the last page ,76.

Jim
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

goob

Do some 'up to date' research on the zinc content of the shell rotella oils...they have recently lowered the zinc content to meet government standards in some of their line, supposedly. I use valvoline vr1 racing oil in 39 of 41 our cars...the two 'newer' cars use full synthetic, but they're not flat tappet engines.

Gary

Keith Carlson

many tks to both for the very prompt replies.    As to oil filters...??   What I have is a rag in a can, to put it simply, whether or not that was the original set up.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have owned one of these for 15 years. They are great cars. Congratulations!

I run mine on nothing more exotic than Walmart or NAPA brand 10W40 and it seems very happy. It is a rebuilt engine with about 18000 miles on it. I change it once per year at the end of the driving season.

The filter is a harder question. Oil filters were an add on accessory in 1940. Dealers probably installed AC units, which take an AC P-115 or Purolator P-51 cartridge. My car came with an AC, but it developed leakage problems, so I replaced it with a NOS Fram unit from EBay. The Fram takes a Fram C-4. All of these numbers have modern equivalents in Fram, Wix, or NAPA.

Chances are excellent that yours is an AC or Fram filter because they were the most common. If you have an old element in your canister, let it drain, put it in a plastic bag, take it to the store and see what it matches.

Good Luck.

Keith Carlson

and many tks for this additional aid.   Sweet car, very lucky and pleased to have it