News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

??? Pick-up ???

Started by manxie, October 06, 2017, 04:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxie

78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

D.Smith

Cadillac made no factory pick up trucks.  This is a DIY job.

manxie

e.mason

Appears to be a "one of a kind" DIY.  I might suggest, that in the past, Cadillac did offer pickup trucks in the form of "Flower Cars"  Of course not built for plumbers and farmers.  None the less they had beds with a single front seat cab.  Naturally those in need of a pickup, would opt for the cheaper, Chevy, Ford etc.
Eric Mason

gary griffin

Can't tell much about it from pics and description. "Believed to be one of two produced for Cadillac employee?? Upholstery looks a lot more like 138,000 miles than 39,000  to me.

Having said that I really like the crew cab aspect of it. I can even visualize it with a small camper in the bed!

I love driving around in cars that I will not see another coming the other way. As an example in the club my LaSalle equals are in Florida, and California and one with no address in the Directory.

I wold love to park this one between my others!!   Sometimes I miss my 1937 Lanchester for that reason. Never saw another one!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

35-709

"I might suggest, that in the past, Cadillac did offer pickup trucks in the form of "Flower Cars" 

Cadillac did not "offer pickup trucks in the form of "Flower Cars".  Flower cars and Cadillac pickups were conversions built by aftermarket body builders such as Hess & Eisenhardt, American Coachworks, Caribou Motors and others.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You guys are forgetting about the Cadillac EXT which was a tricked out
Chevy Avalanche.  It WAS a crew cab pick up truck made from 2002
to 2013.  It was cancelled due to slow sales.

See here:

https://www.cars.com/research/cadillac-escalade_ext/

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Steve Passmore

And to think that it's here too  I have never seen it.  Looks well done but a 4 door sedan pickup? Bet it doesn't take much weight with that overhang.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Wilk

Hey folks need to modify some of the below info as Cadillac did offer a factory authorized and Dealer Ordered pick up with FULL FACTORY WARRANTY. It was the Cadillac Mirage in 1975 & 1976 only and they only made 204. See the excellent Self Starter article on this topic from earlier this year. FYI. Here is a photo of mine and one page of the ordering pamphlet. Enjoy!

Jeff W
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

35-709

Maybe a problem with my wording or semantics here.  The Mirage was sold by some larger Cadillac dealers, so was the Caribou built by Caribou Motors, but they were not necessarily "authorized" by Cadillac.  Caribou Motors brochures could be found at some Cadillac dealers as well.  Obviously Cadillac "allowed" dealers to sell them,  but the dealer's rubber stamp name and address on a brochure from Traditional Coachworks does not constitute "authorization" from Cadillac.  For these cars the customer bought a Coupe DeVille from the dealer first (but did not necessarily take physical delivery) and then the car was sent to Traditional Coachworks or Caribou where the conversion took place.

Guess what I should have said was, Cadillac did not build for sale to the public, flower cars, pickups, hearses, ambulances.  These were all outside builder conversions, or built on a commercial Cadilllac chassis by outside companies.  That is not to say that some one-offs were not built by the factory for promotional or investigative purposes or for some VIPs.  And yes indeed, Cadillac built the EXT, or really Chevrolet built it and Cadillac badged it and put in a different interior.

D.Smith

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on October 07, 2017, 09:31:40 AM
Hey folks need to modify some of the below info as Cadillac did offer a factory authorized and Dealer Ordered pick up with FULL FACTORY WARRANTY. 

Sorry, but no its not factory, nor authorized.    Those were made by Traditional Coach.   They took fully assembled new or used cars and converted them.    The factory only builds the standard car.   It is up to the selling dealer to sub contract out the conversion.   The factory has no say or control over the conversion, the quality of the conversion and will certainly not warranty any part of the conversion other than the parts of the car that were not touched.

Just because a dealer will put out brochures from aftermarket companies in the showroom rack doesn't mean they are factory authorized.   These are just done for clients who want something different.     

If the fiberglass tailgate won't open on your Caribu or Mirage pickup after a month or two, sure your dealer will take the car in their service department.  (if you had the conversion done thru the dealer)  but they will just pick up the phone and call traditional coachworks and tell them to come deal with it.   Cadillac motor car company will not warranty any non factory parts or workmanship.   

It is a myth that Cadillac authorized any pickup or wagon conversions.  I think people confuse the fact that some dealers would offer them to clients right in their showrooms.   

35-709

Thank you for adding to and clarifying my response, Dave.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
There were a total of between 1800 and 2000 "Mirage" conversions done by coach works between 1975 and 1976 and sold through the Cadillac dealers. 
In 1979 American Custom Coachworks tried that again with the downsized cars as well as producing a convertible.  The total number of "trucks" is somewhere around 180-200.  They did not sell very well either.
All these conversions cars were delivered to the dealer, transported to the coach works for the work to be done and then returned to the Cadillac dealer for delivery to the customer who in most cases had already paid for the cars.
The Mirage was a $9,000.00 "option" on a $9,000.00 car.
The Paris was a $12,000 option on a $12,000 car. Paid in most cases in advance.
Can't imagine why more weren't sold.
Greeg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

manxie

Seems like I`ve got a bit of a discussion started here? So, are our thoughts about the pick up posted in my original question being a DIY job, or a proper conversion? I love the flower cars, ambulances etc but I`m not to sure about the pick up conversions I`ve seen??

Thanks for all the info guys, very informative!!!  :)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Steve,
That is most definitely a "one-off" conversion.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

The 4 door seems to be the unique thing about this one.    I think the 4 door trucks started in the mid 70's so maybe someone really wanted a car version.

What does the VIN say that one started as?   You would think not a CC since its got 4 stock looking doors and the full interior.  Likely much easier to start with a Deville in that case.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

The auction description calls it a DeVille but the VIN would tell for sure.

D.Yaros

Whoever did the conversion on the one offered on ebay, it looks like they did pretty a pretty decent job!

The bid at the time of my post is at 2,678.68 USD.

I also note that the vehicle sports a Texas license plate on the tailgate.  The TX plate goes with the horns on the hood!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

NickD

Just my two cents, but this car may have started life as a Maloney Limousine conversion. If you notice the rear quarter panel behind the rear door has been extended, I believe that is how Maloney stretched their limousine conversion.
This car was also in Texas at a car lot called Bliss Auto, however I am not sure how long ago.

Jason Edge

Pickups!?!  Cadillac made the "Cadillac of Pickups!!!" The Escalade EXT.
I have owned my 2002 since 2004 and it has been the most versatile, functional, practical automobile of any make I have ever owned.  I call it Brutus because it is a Brute, having hauled in over 35 parts cars in the last 11 years, and hauling in who knows how many tons of building material in the restoration of our 1912 Queen Ann home and other construction projects.  It now has 128K miles and it is finally starting to show some age having to replace the fuel pump this week, and the driver's window regulator last year.  It was featured in the Sept 2014 Self-Starter which I have included at the bottom.  I went through the very long list of amenities this vehicle provides in the article for anyone unfamiliar with an EXT! I have inserted a couple of pictures and the article below:

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic