News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 CDV Fender Badges

Started by cappy102, October 08, 2017, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

After seeing countless photos of 1957 Coupe De Villes, I can't help but notice that some have the "Coupe De Ville" script on the front fenders, while others have the "Cadillac" logo. A small point, maybe, but I'm the curious type.

My 57CDV has the "Coupe De Ville" logo. Does anyone know if these two logos were used to designate a sub model, a different time of manufacture during the model year, or if they were just randomly installed at the factory?

After thoroughly searching this forum, using any badge-related keywords I could think of, I found no posts.

Someone out there knows the answer, I'm sure.

Thanks!
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Roger Zimmermann

The "Cadillac" script is for the base models. A de Ville is an upgrade with better inside trim (leather instead of vinyl).
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cappy102

Thanks, Roger!

Yes, my car has leather...which brings me to another point (for another post)...the trim number lists the leather as medium blue, but it is definitely medium metallic blue. Still researching this one at present.

My 57 also has the Autronic eye and radio with rear speaker.

I'm just starting this project, so I really appreciate your info.

Mark

m-mman

More info - The base model was the "series 62"  the full name would be "Series 62 coupe" or "Series 62 sedan".

The De Ville was an upgrade model that offered some items as standard equipment (power windows) where in the Series 62 power windows would be optional. Same with trim the fabrics were different between the two versions and (without checking my books) I think leather trim (bolsters) was used in the DeVilles and vinyl (bolsters) was in the Series 62. With leather versions optional.

Buy a Series 62 and add all the (typical Cadillac) options that would be standard on the DeVille and the price become almost equal. There were some features at did not come in a Series 62 that did appear on a DeVille such as fold down arm rests. 

Interesting the convertible was considered a Series 62 but had power windows and leather as standard equipment so it really was more like the DeVille series. I have supposed that GM did not want to used the "DeVille" moniker on a topless car, perhaps because beginning in 1949 the word DeVille meant metal roof. . . . ?

It can be very confusing as the list of standard and optional features changes between the years and as described by casual observers today, every 2 door is called a Coupe De Ville and every 4 door is a Sedan de Ville. However as your expertise about Cadillacs grows,  you too will be able to spot the differences.

1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

cappy102

Thanks for the additional information!

So far, I'm billing this project as a re-furb. So much of the car is in great shape, and I'm not ready for pulling the engine/trans, etc.

Finding vendors is helped by the excellent list in the 'Modified Cadillac' section on this forum.