News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 horn ring HELP

Started by 60eldo, October 08, 2017, 05:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Well this was supposed to be a 5 min job, but after taking the horn ring off which was working perfectly, when I go to put it back on, something is touching and the horn keeps going off.  As soon as I go too  close with the ring its hitting something and grounding it out. Heres some pics to help. Is that little button horn ring wire supposed to go in the spring,,, Is the spring there to keep the horn ring from touching the column? Im lost help please,,are there any diagrams out there that I can see how this works
Jon. Klu

J. Gomez

Quote from: 60eldo on October 08, 2017, 05:19:16 PM
Well this was supposed to be a 5 min job, but after taking the horn ring off which was working perfectly, when I go to put it back on, something is touching and the horn keeps going off.  As soon as I go too  close with the ring its hitting something and grounding it out. Heres some pics to help. Is that little button horn ring wire supposed to go in the spring,,, Is the spring there to keep the horn ring from touching the column? Im lost help please,,are there any diagrams out there that I can see how this works

Johnny,

Is hard to see on the top picture if the brash contact for the horn wire has an insulator under it?

It should be an insulator which slides inside the steering column (were the horn wire goes) and the brass tip (for the horn wire) seat on top with about 1/8” gap. Without this insulator the brass tip would make contact to "ground" from the steering column shorting the horn wire.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

60eldo

Yes it has the insulater, I think I did it. What I was doing was,,,,with horns connected and working. When I was installing the horn ring I was wiggling it and it always blew the horns so I couldnt get the 2 allen screws in. So I unplugged both horns and installed the ring and then reattached the horns. Now it works great. What was to be a 5 min job, turned into an afternoon. Oh well i wasnt doing anything anyway,,,,thanks
Jon. Klu

J. Gomez

Quote from: 60eldo on October 08, 2017, 07:01:27 PM
Yes it has the insulater, I think I did it. What I was doing was,,,,with horns connected and working. When I was installing the horn ring I was wiggling it and it always blew the horns so I couldnt get the 2 allen screws in. So I unplugged both horns and installed the ring and then reattached the horns. Now it works great. What was to be a 5 min job, turned into an afternoon. Oh well i wasnt doing anything anyway,,,,thanks

8)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082