News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 power steering pump control valve

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, October 08, 2017, 04:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I have the 55's power steering pump blown apart. It got screaching hot when running, leaked badly and did not seem tp provide any assist. Does the Control Valve Sub-assembly need to come apart?  I see a nut on the end but no way to hold the shaft to remove it. There is a hole on the end of the nut that doesn't seem to go anywhere and I can't blow thru it. I can try to take it apart but if it isn't necessary then I don't want to take a chance on scratching it in a vice.
What does that valve do anyway?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on October 08, 2017, 04:49:21 PM
I have the 55's power steering pump blown apart. It got screaching hot when running, leaked badly and did not seem tp provide any assist. Does the Control Valve Sub-assembly need to come apart?  I see a nut on the end but no way to hold the shaft to remove it. There is a hole on the end of the nut that doesn't seem to go anywhere and I can't blow thru it. I can try to take it apart but if it isn't necessary then I don't want to take a chance on scratching it in a vice.
What does that valve do anyway?
Jeff

Jeff,

That one is called pressure control valve, it allows pressure relief for the high side if it is too high.

The inside pieces consist of a pressure spring, a plunger inside the spring and a ball bearing this would be the high pressure section relief valve.

If your vise has a “V” type grove specially to hold tubing you could use that section to hold the bottom. If you have an impact drill or air wrench you can loosen the bolt. Just try to protect it the best you can.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

Consider putting rubber on the vice jaws to protect the outside of that valve --- you DO NOT want to scratch or gouge that outside surface.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2