News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Transmission oil cooler lines - differences b/w 1968 and 1969-70

Started by cadillacmike68, October 08, 2017, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

I'm looking for a new set of pre-formed transmission lines fr my 1968 DVC. There are several sources for these lines for 1969-70 DeVilles (and Calais, etc RWD), but not 1968.

What's the difference?

The transmission has to be the same. The only thing I can think of is the location / distance between the inlet and return fittings on the radiator. The 1968 had a low pressure no-overflow tank radiator while the 1969-70 was the first year for the sealed recovery system. The fitting locations for the transmission lines might have been slightly altered (the threads will not have been they are 1/2").

I don't see a problem with some minor additional custom bending to get them to line up with a 1968 radiator.

Am I missing something here??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Nobody knows anything? Is it the size of the lines themselves?? 3/8 vs. 5/16??? Fittings?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

savemy67

Hello Mike,

I have a '67 Sedan deVille, so I cannot address your question directly.  Have you contacted Inline Tube to see if they have cooler lines?  They do brake and fuel lines, so they may have cooler lines available, or they may be able to make them using your original lines as a guide.  Have you thought about making your own cooler lines?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

The Tassie Devil(le)

I make all my own lines, be it cooler, fuel or brake, and only need simple tools, which once you have, you will be set for life.

Tube cutter, Flaring tool, and a pipe bender is all you need, plus some springs to enable the bending of very sharp angles.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   There shouldn't be much difference in the tubing in your initial question, but you must remember that during model changes, some things stay the same, and whatever one wants, will always be different.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

I did call inline tube. They make a set for 1961-64 and 1969-70. No 1968. Their 1969-70 set uses 3/8in tube with a 5/8 fitting.

I THINK my fittings are 1/2in with 5/16 tubing. That might be the difference. I could get around that with a couple adapters.

Or I could buy a length of coiled tubing and make my own. I do have the single and double flare tube and tube cutters, just not the bending tools, but the shop does.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

The tubing size was the same in 1968 as 1969-70, as are the fitting threads (at least where they go to the radiator), so I bought a set of 1969-70 from InLine Tube. I'll post how they fit next week.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Update:

They are ok except for length. About 2 inches too long. Trying to bend them without kinking them. Else we'll have to cut them in back near the trans and fit flared couplers.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike