News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Window Switch Removal and Replacement

Started by 48ragtop, October 08, 2017, 10:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ragtop

I'm in the process of trying to replace my power window switches with new.    My car is a 1948 Series 62 Convertible.   Any suggestions as to how to process to remove switches without damaging the finish on the interior of my doors.   Having trouble understanding how to get the mount clips released.

Thanks, Ed
Edward M. Wisniewski, CLC #26482
1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair Convertible
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

48ragtop

Just a follow up clarification, on the 1948 Series 62 Convertible the window switches for the front doors are mounted near the top of each door.   They are set in a painted metal panel, the finish of which I'm hoping to avoid damaging when removing the switches.

Thanks,  Ed
Edward M. Wisniewski, CLC #26482
1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair Convertible
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4
2007 Chrysler Crossfire

Joe V

You did not say whether you have removed the trim yet to get at the back of the switch, so I'll assume not. 

Looking closely a mount clip I have for my 49, it looks like you could pop the switch out with enough pressure but that would mean prying from the trim side and risking your finish as noted.  Plus you would be hard pressed to hold the clip in place and get the new switch snapped in. 

If they are like the switches on my 49, which I would guess they are, the only way to remove the rectangular mount clip without damage is from the back of the metal trim. 

If you are replacing only the switch components and not the chrome switch body, a small screw driver easily releases the 4 (or maybe more on the drivers door) small tabs that hols the switch mechanism inside the chrome switch  body.  Then a new mechanism can be popped back into the switch body easily.  My guess is that is the primary reason why the small tabs are engineered into the switch body allowing the trim to be removed for access to the inner door for maintenance/repair without risking the finish and allowing the mechanic to snap it all back in place.  This is another job to be done from the back of the trim and would ensure no impact to the finished side.  You just have to be careful not to loose any of the small tabs.