News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is "Spray Nine" Whitewall Cleaner?

Started by EAM 17806, October 09, 2017, 12:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

Do any of you guys or gals use Spray Nine" for whitewall cleaning on all your cars?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Lexi

I use it and it seems to do a good job. I have also used it with 4-zero steel wool (0000) to remove stubborn curb scuffs. I think with any cleaner one is probably best to use it only occasionally as they may lead to premature age cracking. But Spray Nine seems to be a good general choice of whitewall cleaner especially if used only as required. Clay/Lexi

Jim Miller

Diamondback recommends Simple Green. I use that with a nylon Dobie scrub pad. Works good and any overspray doesn't seem to remove wax on the wheels. Years ago used Westleys Bleach White which they discourage - too hard on the tires.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

35-709

The name of the product is Westleys Bleche White.  There is no bleach in this product, they misspell the word to indicate that it whitens the whitewall like a bleach but without bleach in the formula.  I used it for years with no problems, now I just use a good old Brillo pad.

From the Diamondback catalog (page 35) ---

"Cleaning Tips (No Bleach)
One of the first things you will notice is that Diamond Back Classics are extremely easy to clean. Most whitewalls turn dingy or
yellow because of the leaching of chemicals (mostly anti-oxidants) into the white material. Because our process uses a butyl lining to stop chemical leeching, you only have to clean the surface dirt.We recommend frequent cleanings with an abrasive cleaning pad.A fine or medium sanding sponge works well.  These are available at most hardware stores.
Any good cleaner works OK - Castrol Super Clean, 409, Simple Green, Greased Lightning - just to name a few.  Avoid cleaners
that contain bleach. Prolonged use of these cleaners can “dry” the whitewall surface. Do not use products such as Armor All on
whitewall.This could cause slight discoloration.Whitewall surfaces tend to “dry” with time, heat, ozone, etc.A vigorous cleaning
periodically will get rid of the dry surface and help maintain the tire’s beauty. Don’t be afraid to scrub."

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Alan Harris CLC#1513

For what it's worth, I knew a limo service owner once who swore by Fantastik for whitewalls. Has anybody here ever tried it? I'm a Westley's man myself, but I don't think they call it that anymore.

Lexi

I have used Fantastik as well and it seems consistent with Spray Nine. I like both and would chose one if the other was not available. Clay/Lexi

Glen

Quote from: 35-709 on October 09, 2017, 09:57:12 PM
The name of the product is Westleys Bleche White.

Actully it is Bleche-Wite now by Black Magic.  No "H" in Wite.   :)

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve Passmore

You guys are so lucky to have these choices. There is no whitewall cleaner here. We used to have Wessleys Bleche Wite imported and I have used it for decades.  I have never seen anything detrimental happen to my tyres in 30 years, they wear out first.  They have gone through a couple of name changes over the years and is now very diluted compared to what it was.   I use a household scrubbing brush and do it every time I take the car out. The trick is to start doing it when the tyres are new. Keeps them really bright.  Guess it's whatever works best for you.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

wrench

I have used both Spray Nine and Bleche-Wite with scotch brite.

Both work well and never had an issue.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Jim Miller

It is correct that Bleche Wite (spelled right this time) does not contain bleach. It's sodium meta silicate which is a cleaning agent used in dishwasher detergent. It was the guy at Diamondback when I ordered who cautioned against the product when I offered that I used it for years keeping white walls white. Always avoided any overspray because it will take any wax off wheel edge or beauty rings.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Glen

Whenever you have questions about any product do a Google search using the name followed by MSDS, such as "Bleche Wite MSDS".  I got this page:  http://www.flagshiphawaii.com/msds/Alphabetical%20by%20Manufacturer/blackmagic_blechewite_tire_cleaner.pdf
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

chrisntam

I too know it as "Wesley's" Bleche Wite. 

I guess it's no longer "Westley's", I hope Westley and his family got 7 figures for it.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TC

Westleys sure isn't what it used to be.

chrisntam

Yeah, I recall it leaving the tire darker, like it had a dressing applied to it.

I suppose Mr. E, Mr. P and Mr. A had something to do with it....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TC

Haven't noticed a darker appearance just that it doesn't clean as well. I asked a few questions and found out their formula was weakened to meet stricter VOC regulations.

jdemerson

I use the standard Simple Green. It is easy to use and does not pose hazards for health or the environment. I use it with a brush with bristles that are not stiff. Results have always been most satisfactory.

This product works well for cleaning lots of things, including stains on clothing and as a household cleaner.

I have no interests in Simple Green -- just a satisfied user for many years.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X (with VERY wide whitewalls!)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn