News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Did ‘60’s have fender skirt gaskets?

Started by David Greenburg, December 20, 2017, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

This is a continuation of a discussion that started on another thread. The question is whether fender skirt gaskets were originally used in 1960.  They were in ‘59, and were not used in ‘61.  As Roger Zimmerman has pointed out, the parts book shows a listing for ‘59 and ‘60.  But a couple of us have cars that did not have seals on them when acquired.  And when I tried adding them on my car, it made it very difficult to get the skirts to sit right.  It takes a lot of tinkering with bracket adjustments, and when in place, the locking latch is under a lot of tension (I use a 1/2” Drive ratchet to lock/unlock).  I’m hoping there might be some others out there who have experience with original cars that can weigh in.  Scott Halverson?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

gkhashem

David

The fit issue may also be caused by an improper reproduction part. Do the gaskets you have purchased fit properly on a 1959?

I hate to trash Cadillac but the fender skirt mechanism works so much better on my 1964 Oldsmobile 98, it puts my 1959 and 1966 Cadillac fender skirts to shame. Another plus for Oldsmobile, in many ways they had fantastic engineering. What a shame GM destroyed the brand my family grew up on.

No need for any pliers, easily goes on and off with just my hand. No issue with damaging any paint or the skirt on my Oldsmobile.

By the way I could show you some nice original gaskets on my 1959!  :)

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Nearly every reproduction rubber body part I've encountered was never manufactured to the precise tolerances of the originals so this issue is not surprising.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 20, 2017, 07:06:33 PM
Nearly every reproduction rubber body part I've encountered was never manufactured to the precise tolerances of the originals so this issue is not surprising.
Not only the rubber parts, Eric...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scott Halver

David,
Yes, the fender skirts have gaskets .............  about 1/2 inch wide and not very thick but mine are probably squished down.  Hope this helps,  SHalver CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

David Greenburg

Scott:

Thanks.  I think that is the definitive answer.  But as others have mentioned, the repros may fit badly.  So take good care of yours!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

Steele Rubber sells all sorts of rubber strips and sheets that are sold by the sizing, not a part number for any particular car.  For example if you really want to put the rubber seals on the skirts you could order several feet of a certain size and thickness.  I'd go with a very thin material.

Let's check this out with Steele.  David, Tag, Your are IT.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)