News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Drum brake spring diagram 68 SDV

Started by taintedsaint, November 05, 2017, 06:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

Does anyone have a photo of the entire spring/arm/shoe assembly for rear of 68 SDV? I thought I would get by with pics pre-teardown but something ain't looking kosher. All I can find is for 61-64.
THanks in advance.

Joe S>
Nokesville, VA 20181

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here are a couple of pictures of the rear brakes on a '69 SDV.

The fronts should be the same, except for the parking brake mechanism.

Sorry I don't have a better picture of the brakes looking up from under, showing the adjusting screw part.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

From the 68 shop manual
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

What do the stabilizer plates do on the front?   I have never seen a setup like that.   

Also annoying they don't show the parking brake arm in that photo.   Hopefully its in another one.  If you have not done a bunch of em it can be hard to figure out how it all goes together. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Parking brake arm is there.   Just behind the rear shoe, connected to the top link.   You just can't see where it attaches to the parking brake cable.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Joe, are you trying to re-shoe your brakes? Are they assembled now? What I do (because I don't do this often) is I take both wheels off, take one side apart and use the other side as a guide to getting everything back together correctly.

If you have drum fronts and want to convert to disc, PM me. I have the steering knuckles, arms, backing plates and rotors.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

tripwire

Joe,
Just in case you're not aware, the image from the service manual is showing the right / passenger side and the left / driver side will be a mirror image of the right side.  Not the same as the right and also take note the brake shoes.  There is a primary & secondary shoe.  The shorter one is the primary and goes to the front.  It may also be of different material or color to help id it.  Sorry if I'm restating the obvious and you knew all this before I chimed in. 

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

taintedsaint

Thanks so much to everyone for their replies!!!! The image posted in the reply is exactly what I needed. I had planned to do what cadillacmike said, remove one side at a time. However an overly zealous assistant (son) decided to help breakdown drivers side while I was cleaning up passenger side for re-assembly. The weird long bent rod at top that runs along bottom of green spring had me confused as to hooking from top down or bottom up. Diagram solved the problem.
Nokesville, VA 20181

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

At least your son is working on it with you-----that is a WIN!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille