News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hemmings follow through?

Started by gary griffin, October 15, 2017, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

When I had my LaSalle for sale in Hemmings I received only one response. I mention this because I have a interest in a current listing in Hemmings and have tried to contact them 3 times through Hemmings as this is the way Hemmings has it set up?

Has anybody else had lack of communications form Hemmings? 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Quote from: gary griffin on October 15, 2017, 04:15:07 PM
When I had my LaSalle for sale in Hemmings I received only one response. I mention this because I have a interest in a current listing in Hemmings and have tried to contac tthem 3 times through Hemmings as this is the way Hemmings has it set up?

Has anybody else had lack of communications form Hemmings?

Gary,
Hi. I don't believe it's Hemmings as much as it's the person that your dealing with buying/selling a vehicle. Not everyone is computer/ phone savvy and quick to respond. They could be out of town, ill, emergency, away from the phone, etc. Sooner or later you should get a call back. If it's a really sweet deal, I'll figure it to be sold and will leave a message like, " Even if it's sold, would you mind giving me a call so I can continue looking elsewhere. Thanks"......It took me almost 6 months to get the '47, through Hemmings. In hindsight, I wish he didn't cave in and call me back.....  ::)
                                                                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

60eldo

I just put my car in hemmings 1st time ever. I thought it was the best way to go. Its been listed there about a month and only 1 guy responded and wanted 50% off the price. Im not impressed so far for 130 bucks. One thing I wonder is, its on the computer site right away and wont be in the book til december they tell me. Whats the point of that by the time it hits the book it could be sold, I dont get it, shouldnt it hit the book 1st
Jon. Klu

James Landi

Resale of "collectibles" tend to be largely depressed in  part because of the near zero rate of inflation and the very low CD and bank savings returns.  When inflation is high and the price of borrowing money is high, the price of vintage and antique and handcrafted items are considered, by the "investor class" as a hedge against inflation--(i.e. "portable property "increases in value, as the value and buying power of the dollar declines).  So if you think of the price of gold that has drastically reduced since the crash, and all the deep concerns about inflation overtaking the economy after the 2008 crash, it simply hasn't happened (yet!). 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It used to be Hemmings policy to delay online listings for 1 week after first class issues have been mailed.

In any case, it's pretty clear that the days of old fashioned print classified advertising are numbered. I haven't listed a car in Hemmings in some time because the response had sharply dwindled over the years. I've always had the best luck with eBay for car sales.

Low ballers are an inevitable part of the routine when it comes to selling, regardless of sales venue.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Fred Pennington 25635

I have never sold on Hemmings but have made several attempts to buy.
Every time I have inquired the seller took at least a week to respond if at all.
In fact in May, this year I started searching for my latest purchase I made 4 inquires on their website and only one ever responded.
That person still had the car but the took so long I had found and purchased another car. ( in July )

Can't say where the breakdown is but for me it seems to be pretty consistent with no or late replies
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

gary griffin

Bobby,

I just left my 4th message on Hemmings. As to the quality of the car my preference is to fly to the car and verify everything prior to buying especially when this many $$ are concerned. The last car I purchased without checking it out was a mistake. It was from  a respected club member who will remain unnamed here. Several discussions and pictures then purchased at his asking price although he had price or OBO in his listing. Unfortunately the plastic was still on the upholstery from new but the car spent a lot of time outdoors in California and the upholstery was rotten in the upper areas. He was mistaken and so was I. A $500  trip would have saved me a few thousand for upholstery replacement and if we had agreed on a price that included that I could have driven it home. Lesson learned!!!
Gary Griffin

Lexi

Words of wisdom from James Landi. The value of collectibles is indeed impacted by interest rates as well as other factors. Most areas of collecting have been more or less in a depression for some time. Even Antiques Roadshow has been displaying 2 values on some items; what the previous value was then the current value at the time of broadcast. Most items have taken quite a hit when it came to updated values. Been associated with the business for most of my life and have experienced this trend. The most important dollar value is what someone is willing to pay for something, at the time of sale. Often that price is not representative of the seller's expectations. Clay/Lexi

Fred Pennington 25635

Gary, I hear you. I have bought my last car without being able to lay my hands on it first.
I will most likely never have another shipped.
Last one I flew out to make the deal and flew back a week later and rented a Uhaul truck and trailer to bring it home.
Costly but worth the piece of mind.
Not sure I'm ready to trust a vehicle unknown to me for a road trip.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: lexi on October 16, 2017, 05:45:28 PM
Words of wisdom from James Landi. The value of collectibles is indeed impacted by interest rates as well as other factors. Most areas of collecting have been more or less in a depression for some time. Even Antiques Roadshow has been displaying 2 values on some items; what the previous value was then the current value at the time of broadcast. Most items have taken quite a hit when it came to updated values. Been associated with the business for most of my life and have experienced this trend. The most important dollar value is what someone is willing to pay for something, at the time of sale. Often that price is not representative of the seller's expectations. Clay/Lexi

Not certain I agree with that analysis: Low interest rates tend to disincentivize saving while encouraging spending and also stimulating investment in alternative appreciable assets, ie collectibles.  As with most other areas of collectibles, the rarest and/or most desirable will always be in high demand and have the greatest appreciation potential. 

Condition and originality are playing an ever increasing role in the collector car market as well.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

Fred,

If I were to drive a vehicle home it would be checked out thoroughly and in the case I mentioned it would get new tires prior to the trip home as it had the original tires I think, or at least several decades old.. Luckily Seattle to Las Angeles is not that far. I flew to Arizona and picked up cash at the bank prior to seeing my LaSalle in person.  I did fly home and have it shipped though.

The cars I am considering now are both partly restored, one claimed 95% and the other looks like about 10% in the pictures. Easy to deal with if you know the full set of facts prior to buying.  The upholstery thing was a good lesson for me and not extremely costly.  An owner can be blind to the faults also as we all know!! I would fly down for sure to make sure what if anything is missing,. This is an estate deal and sometimes the heirs have no idea of value or what has been done and what may be missing.  Probably end up passing on this one because of no response!!
Gary Griffin

Bobby B

Quote from: gary griffin on October 16, 2017, 06:32:34 PM
Fred,

This is an estate deal and sometimes the heirs have no idea of value or what has been done and what may be missing.  Probably end up passing on this one because of no response!!

Gary,
Two weekends ago I drove 4 hours each way to attend an estate auction of a '67 Jag E-Type. I saw pictures and spoke with the auction company. I know these cars as good as anybody out there. Thank God I actually wasted my day. The car was an utter disaster on all accounts. I brought along a friend of mine who happens to be one of the top authorities on E-Types. We both agreed that at ANY price, the car wouldn't be worth restoring. We were both laughing as we left saying "I wouldn't even give you 5K for that thing".....Out of curiosity, I called the auctioneers the following day to see what it sold for. SIT DOWN......Out of state bidder paid 50K for it!  I was silent for about 30 seconds in shear amazement. I told them politely that as soon as he has possession of THAT car, be prepared for a phone car from either him, or his Lawyer. They told me that the terms of the sale were posted "As-Is"......Oh Boy. I am STILL in Shock.....
                                                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

I also have a bit of a Jaguar relationship Bobby.  1954  XK120 Drop head,    XKE Series II 2+2  when my boys were young and later a Mark 10 sedan. Prince of darkness chased me out of the local Jag club. And to think Lucas was prime electrical for British space program
Gary Griffin

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on October 16, 2017, 06:25:06 PM
Not certain I agree with that analysis: Low interest rates tend to disincentivize saving while encouraging spending and also stimulating investment in alternative appreciable assets, ie collectibles.  As with most other areas of collectibles, the rarest and/or most desirable will always be in high demand and have the greatest appreciation potential. 

I agree, Eric. Many here with a matured pension can no longer look at having an income for the rest of their lives on the near-zero interest rates, so they are withdrawing their funds and investing in property. Those without enough for a property are looking to other investments. Cars are perfect because they can get the enjoyment for years and still get their money back, or more.  Classics are booming here.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

James Landi

Dear Steve,

The American stock exchange continues to grow in volume sales, simply because we aging boomers are willing to "roll the dice" for some perceived decent returns on our accumulated capital.  While I entirely and passionately do support the Cadillac car collector hobby as a joyful way to engage oneself, I think you'd have to agree with me that we've heard from many here on this web site who complain that they must sell their beautiful cars at a loss of their time and materials-- so to put a finer point on this, while there are likely a few folks who do make some money preserving and then marketing a "car collectible," the majority of us know in our hearts that we do what we do because we love the engagement -- the selling part with the expressed desire to have a bunch of folks lining up with cash profits for these profound efforts is likely an uncommon event, something that happens mainly on the TV auctions.

V63

I think hemmings is a great venue. It reaches a demmagraphic that has the means but are not computer literate. I also like their ‘relay’ service for the online portion, that helps Shield  you from the infinite amount of scammers.  Features 50 images online too. I have noticed too, a dramatic and direct correlation to online hits and print publication release.

I think we are realizing the painful fact that the appreciation of ‘our’ era of the automobile and prior is rapidly fading due to supply and demand. Lack of response might cause pause to review of price point.

The impressive stock and real estate markets are another reason for soft collector markets.

Let’s view this as a good thing for the true collector as the dollar frenzy is removed, its a more relaxed trade at acceptable prices .

gary griffin

V63,  I do not agree with your post.  a "Great Venue " would have connected me (A serious buyer) to the owner in less than two weeks.  What do you think is a reasonable connection time??   You can notice below I enjoy Cadillac products as well as my other collectable cars and motorcycles and I am not a scammer either.
Gary Griffin

Art Director

Nowhere in this discussion do I see CLC members advertising in their own magazine, The Self-Starter, to buy or sell their cars. You receive three text ads each year included with your membership, plus photos are $20 per month. Something to consider.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

gary griffin

Tim,

I understand your point. I have made two car purchases from this venue and advertised on it myself.  I look through the classified sections at least couple of times a week.  My partner is always afraid I will find another toy to buy.

Basically of the approximately members a small percentage read the forum regularly and the exposure to potential buyers is too small of a pool to expect great results.  I have purchased parts from members when possible but have had better luck on eBay. 

This winter I plan on clearing the unwanted extra parts out of my garage and will use eBay and the forum to cover all of my bases, I have other marque parts also to liquidate.
Gary Griffin

V63

Quote from: gary griffin on October 17, 2017, 11:36:08 AM
V63,  I do not agree with your post.  a "Great Venue " would have connected me (A serious buyer) to the owner in less than two weeks.  What do you think is a reasonable connection time??   You can notice below I enjoy Cadillac products as well as my other collectable cars and motorcycles and I am not a scammer either.

Your issue seems is directed solely at the venue? Maybe post your ad here as it was presented in hemmings?  Did you utilize a photo print ad? Did you include a price. Some makes and models do not have the volume of following. There are a lot of variables.

To clarify, My reference to scammers was directed to some respondents not the advertisers.