News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Modern parts on 59 ???

Started by chris92026, October 16, 2017, 07:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris92026

I am going to make my 59 a driver
Low budget sadly
Wonder what can be replaced with more recent parts
Looking for bolt on parts
Alternator , ac compressor ,fuse box,  lights
Keyless Keyless entry ...
Thank you
59 deville six windows

C.Perrin

chrisntam

Most folks here are all about originality.  With that said, I'm all about dependability and drivability.

You might check out the "Modified Cadillac" forum here:  http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=58e3ccc798b9bb71e644e19d3076cc7a&board=1.0

You may get more of a response.  Also, be more specific on what you are doing, such as "I'm wanting to replace my generator with an alternator" or the fuse box thing, is your wiring bad?  Not sure what you mean.  I guess, be more clear, the post is a bit vague.

--------

I am going to make my 59 a driver -- That's what I'm doing with my '70
Low budget sadly -- I understand!
Wonder what can be replaced with more recent parts -- Most anything can, but it could be costly.
Looking for bolt on parts -- Ok
Alternator , ac compressor ,fuse box,  lights -- here's where you should be more specific.
Keyless Keyless entry ...  -- That'd be addressed on the Modified site for sure!
Thank you  - Your welcome!
59 deville six windows
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Steve Passmore

Can't imagine any key-less entry to a 59-year-old car is compatible with 'Low Budget' but what do I know?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

35-709

I have installed keyless entry systems (remote control power door locks) on both my 1935 Cadillac and 1950 Jaguar Mark V resto-mods.  You might have a look at these available through Summit, Jegs, eBay, etc.  Don't see the actuators, which you will also have to have, best to give Summit, or whoever you buy them from, a call to make sure you get everything.  You will see other systems on eBay (and Amazon) cheaper than the AutoLocs but --- you get what you pay for.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/autoloc?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autoview=productname&cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-brands-_-keyword&N=4294870186
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Very little will be direct "bolt-on".

For AC compressors --- your original compressor would be an A5; GM came out with a mount kit back in the '60s to upgrade to the A6, a worthwhile upgrade, but I imagine it would be difficult to find that kit today.  Might keep an eye on eBay for one or more likely you are going to have to fabricate your own brackets.

Alternators --- Believe 1963 was the first year for Cadillac alternators, maybe bracketing from the early alternator years will be of some help but again, some of your own ingenuity and fabricating skills will no doubt be necessary --- not to mention some wiring. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Is it in decent driving condition now?    If not what are the biggest current issues?

Are you in the USA?   If outside do you have a easy way to get parts from the USA?

Subject to any safety or emissions inspections?

What sort of driving conditions will you be typically encountering?  rural city?  rural country?  lots of highway?  major city?   What sort of climate? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chris92026

Car will be run in upstate New York
Not running at the moment
Will be driven has much has possible inbdry weather

Thank you
C Perrin

m-mman

Quote from: chris92026 on October 18, 2017, 03:23:01 PM
Not running at the moment
Thank you
C Perrin

Fact: It is always cheapest and easiest to start with doing things the 100% stock way first.
Fixing what is already there guarantees that all the bolts will line up and everything will fit.
It also guarantees that all the wiring and stuff matches what is in the shop manual. (BTW you MUST get a shop manual!)

So many times all it takes is performing the deferred maintenance that it needs (plugs, points, fuel system service, complete brake job) and it will run quite reliability.

NO, the basic repairs will NOT transform it into a 2017 car. (keyless entry?)
Yes, it will still run like a 1959 car, but that should not be surprising. . . these were good cars when new.
All they have done is become old.

<surprise> As an old car, it uses old technology. . . .
Fact: to repair it means that you will have an easier time of things by learning the old technology, rather than making modifications and performing fabrications. 

1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Quentin Hall

This is a tricky area. The 59 is iconic. If you are not careful you could put yourself in a quandary. For every $10 000 you spend you could devalue it by the same amount. I have had a few 59s. Other than a bigger stereo hidden away and I'll concede that I custom made a intermediate tailshaft cradle bearing from a Toyota hilux unit and adapted modern, more reliable firestone airbags in lieu of the original firestone airbags, I tried to keep it as true as possible.
     A well maintained 59 is a fabulous driving car. Heaps of power, reliable, good braking. I suggest that you do as little as possible to alter it from original, unless you do something that can be undone by the next guy who buys it off you. You may want to put an alternator on but all my cars have run original generators and rarely caused grief. Maintenance is the key. You will probably spend more time modifying that repairing anyhow so it is a double edged sword. Think carefully.
I did put a keyless system in a 60 convert that I had. I even managed to utilise existing holes in the door to facilitate installation.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

bcroe

If you want a "driver", you should be thinking about reliability and
safety.  Start with new tires and completely renewed brake system;
that means replace anything that touches brake fluid.  If you don't
have a dual circuit system, think about getting one, and front disks