News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hoarders of cars

Started by James Landi, November 01, 2017, 07:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 01, 2017, 10:47:52 AM
One could assume that at the time if these people didn't end up with them that they would have been crushed so in a way maybe they were better off?   

I can see having a few cars and really thinking that someday you will be able to do something when them but when you see dozens or more you do wonder what the mindset is and why they often don't consider selling especially when they see that the storage conditions are far from ideal.

Yes, saved a few myself that were destined for crusher.  I have the property, so was not a big deal to put in my yard.  I generally sell the parts and it goes back into other cars.  A got some recently from a lady that had them in the woods on her property...were in there for 30 yrs, so some were already in poor shape, but plenty of parts.  One '66 had buckets and the rare console intact!  Removed them and put in my storage container.  Also,  I just traded a '64 parts car for 2 others :)

Also, you never know who will sell if you find cars in a yard...it doesn't hurt to ask.   I'd probably sell some of mine, but haven't got a chance to advertise them yet ;)  Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

dochawk

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on November 02, 2017, 08:11:58 PM
Also, you never know who will sell if you find cars in a yard...it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Yes, *but* . . .

a few years ago, a lady came to my door asking to buy "that old car" in my garage as a "first car for her son" to learn about.

Uhh, yeah.   I got the clear idea that she knew *exactly* what it was ('72 Eldorado Convertible) and mistook me for Private Malone's mother . . .

And several months ago, someone came up to me while I was working out front, asking about the Miata by the side of the house.   I actually talked to him about it a while, even noting that it was worth $5k at the track with its blown engine (they'd swap it out anyway), and about $9k if I put in a $1,500 engine.

He finally asked, "would you consider $500? for it?"    !!!!

(I actually probably would take the $5,000 if offered, but currently plan to swap the engine this winter--summers are too hot here, and having the '72 regularly drivable domes first).

And while I'm at it . . .

I moved  into this house in 1990.  There was an old Jaguar up on blocks around the corner.

I went away for four years, which turned into 11, and came back in '05.  It was still there.

I eventually got the story: after an ex had dared to drive it, she sure showed him by putting it on blocks, slashing the tires and interior, etc.

At some point a collector came to inspect, and she basically wanted the price of a restored car . . .

to be clear, it's been sitting there so long that the sun has bleached *all* of the paint off the plates . . .

hawk, whose wife actually encourages him in this stuff

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Rob Leech

I have a friend who has a rough, but very original 69 Yenko Camaro. He raced it when we were kids, parked it in the back yard for 20 years until it sunk in the ground. He has had it in a barn for about 10 years just sitting there rusting away. The car has to be worth 150K as it sits. It would take maybe 30k to fully restore the car. The car sells for around 250k on Barrett Jackson. He won't sell it or restore it. Says he will die with it still in that barn. Some guys just don't have the interest in making them new again. I don't understand it, and I can't do anything about it. Someday it will go in an estate sale and maybe the right person will make it new again. I hope so.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible

James Landi

Rob and Richard,

I'm fascinated by these stories (can't get enough!-- makes my Cadillac affliction seem sane) --- is there a mental health professional in this club??? There must be a psychological profile that applies to these narratives.... while I don't wish to know too much about the personality disorders of folks who won't let go of their deteriorating car, there must be some explanation  (yes?_)   Happy day,  James

Lexi

I'm with James. Here is another story for y'all. I knew a guy who had hundreds of vintage cars, Robert, one of which was a 1956 Cadillac Imperial Limo.

As I required parts for my present ride, a 1956 Cadillac Imperial Limousine, I remembered that Robert had this old Limo in his stash. The most important part I required was the division window and it's motor. On the phone Robert merely said that the car should be restored, so he obviously had no desire in parting with those items. Yes, the 1956 Limo is a rare car but I could not imagine anyone restoring Robert's vehicle. The 'risk-reward' aspect rules against such, after all it is not an Eldo or a Brougham which command a far higher dollar value-and Rob's car was a basket case. Two weeks later he died and subsequently his family sold me the division window as well as other parts. I was advised that Robert would be rolling in his grave if he knew what the family had sold me. The car by that time was sinking into the earth and was just a shell, having now been weathered for another 2 decades. Only a mad man would engage in a restoration of this car due to the sheer cost of the project. Yet Robert had stubbornly held on to it even though it was slowly returning to the earth.

I wondered what kind of individual Robert was, and as I walked the various areas where his cars were 'stored', (which was like 3 wrecking yards), I saw mostly Cadillacs in similar or far worse shape, some with trees growing up through them. There were also trailers filled with parts as well as others that appeared to have Rob's entire collection of personal belongings stuffed into a large semi-trailer. Looked like everything he ever owned had been saved, according to an employee. The stuff that I saw were items that most would put at the end of their driveway or donate. Also, everything was deteriorating due to the storage conditions with some items even having been left outside. Those responsible for the clean up of the various properties said there was a "significant ecological disaster" due to the discarded oil, gas, tires, junk, you name it.

I knew that Robert truly loved these cars, perhaps as much as anyone ever had, but I have often wondered why he treated some of them in such a manner. Yes, parts cars I can see, (and most were), but some of these rotting vehicles actually made it to membership lists of various classic car clubs (including the Limo), yet in reality they were just rotting shells. Nothing to be parted from them nor sold to be saved. Clay/Lexi

Rob Leech

One more story, have to tell this one on my own sister (who is sane by the way). I had an 82 Corvette special addition. The one with the stripe down the side, cross fire injection and the back glass raises up. Kinda brown/grey paint scheme. Anyway, I told her I was selling the car one day and she bought it from me. She drove it home, parked it in a basement garage and it has never moved again since. That was almost 30 years ago. Sitting on four flat tires now. Looks great on the inside and out, but everything would have to be rebuilt to ever get it to run again. Cross fires were bad about catching fire, fuel tank, injectors, brake calipers and brake lines. You name it, it would have to be replaced. Car had less than 50k miles on it when she parked it. She thought it would be a nice hobby and then moved on to something else. She wants me to pick it up from her someday and get it running again. Yeah right Sis.  :P
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible