News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Deville Convertible Cruise Control Linkage Setup

Started by 69Deville, November 06, 2017, 12:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

Hello friends,

I have been working on my 1969 Deville Convertible for the last year and have been picking up all of the cruise components. I have everything (I think) with the exception of the wiring harness which I'll make until I can find one.

I am having trouble figuring out how to secure the linkage from the transducer to the throttle linkage. If anyone can post a few photos showing how it is setup under the hood, I'd be eternally grateful.

This forum has been extremely helpful this past year and I'm sure I wouldn't have made it this far without it.

-Dave
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

TJ Hopland

Your car never had it or there were missing parts?   If it never had it that is a lot of parts.   You going for original or just want working cruise?   If you just want something that works pick up a new Rostra unit they work better than the original stuff did with fewer parts.   The throttle part is cable operated so you have some flexibility where you mount the main box.

Not sure about 69 but a little later they used that ball chain stuff like you would have attached to a lamp socket or drain stopper.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

I believe the 1969 RWD have the same cruise control as all 1968s. It's all solid steel rods, no pull chains or anything. When mine is back together I can post a pic.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

69Deville

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 06, 2017, 12:53:41 AM
Your car never had it or there were missing parts?   If it never had it that is a lot of parts.   You going for original or just want working cruise?   If you just want something that works pick up a new Rostra unit they work better than the original stuff did with fewer parts.   The throttle part is cable operated so you have some flexibility where you mount the main box.

Not sure about 69 but a little later they used that ball chain stuff like you would have attached to a lamp socket or drain stopper.

The car did not come equipped with CC. I have picked up the dash switch, brake switch, linkage, transducer, and speedo cables. The linkage is suppose to connect to the throttle arm behind the engine. The CC linkage seems like it should have a bracket to connect it behind the engine. The FSM doesn't show any photos.

The deville had the electric setup and the El Dorado had the vacuum setup.

69Deville

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 06, 2017, 12:54:27 AM
I believe the 1969 RWD have the same cruise control as all 1968s. It's all solid steel rods, no pull chains or anything. When mine is back together I can post a pic.

Thank you Cadillac Mike!

WTL

Do you have the rod?

One end of the rod is flat, through which I suppose goes a bolt that then goes through a hole on a rod connected to the throttle arm.  Its pretty simple, right in front of the brake booster. 

The other end connects to the cruise control arm. 

If you need a pic, I can try and lay it up there and take one...I disconnected my rod because the cruise control wouldn't quite hold at speed. 

In the picture, which is not up and down so you are gonna have to orient yourself, but towards the lower middle of the image there is a rod which is connected via a bracket with 2 bolts, the rod makes a 90 degree turn towards the left...that's what you attach to. 

69Deville

Quote from: WTL on November 06, 2017, 03:54:12 PM
Do you have the rod?

One end of the rod is flat, through which I suppose goes a bolt that then goes through a hole on a rod connected to the throttle arm.  Its pretty simple, right in front of the brake booster. 

The other end connects to the cruise control arm. 

If you need a pic, I can try and lay it up there and take one...I disconnected my rod because the cruise control wouldn't quite hold at speed. 

In the picture, which is not up and down so you are gonna have to orient yourself, but towards the lower middle of the image there is a rod which is connected via a bracket with 2 bolts, the rod makes a 90 degree turn towards the left...that's what you attach to. 

Yes, I do have the rod and the bracket with the two bolts.

Does the bracket itself connect to the car or is the linkage/rod only touch the cruise arm and the throttle arm? When I look at the rod, I see no benefit that the bracket would add so I am thinking I am missing something.

WTL

The bracket is bolted to the firewall.  It provides a stable pivot.

I'm trying to.post a pic, but my phone is acting up.

69Deville

I think I am missing the metal piece that the bracket is mounted to. Here is what it looks like under the hood.

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

69Deville

Quote from: Glen on November 07, 2017, 12:38:05 AM
See if this helps you:

Perfect! I see that I am missing the bracket (3.885z) and the support for the brake switch (4.634). Is this for on the parts guide?

[quote author=WTL link=topic=147405.msg376083#msg376083 date=1510001652

[/quote]

Are you willing to sell the support, bracket, and wiring harness that connects to the cruise unit?

Thank you everyone for helping to solve this mystery.

cadillacmike68

You also need the long strangely curved rod that goes from the big power / control unit on the wheel well to the throttle connector. The power unit will swivel its short rod, which will move that long rod back and forth, which since it is connected to the main throttle rod, will move the throttle rod.

Whacky but it works.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

69Deville

I've picked up the linkage and rod. It looks like all I really need is that bracket as I can make the wiring harness using the FSM.

I appreciate all the help on this forum!

WTL

For me if I were to price the bracket, it would not be the price of the bracket per se, but the price of the cost of making my Cadillac less original, and never being able to restore the original CC should I wish to.  Not that it is a pure survivor, but I don't know how to price that without it sounding a bit too high.  $70 bucks? Maybe at that price you'd rather make one?  Call around for a parts car?

cadillacmike68

Quote from: mirrione3 on November 07, 2017, 11:05:32 AM
I've picked up the linkage and rod. It looks like all I really need is that bracket as I can make the wiring harness using the FSM.

I appreciate all the help on this forum!

Are you referring to the bracket down by the brake pedal?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: WTL on November 07, 2017, 11:59:34 AM
For me if I were to price the bracket, it would not be the price of the bracket per se, but the price of the cost of making my Cadillac less original, and never being able to restore the original CC should I wish to.  Not that it is a pure survivor, but I don't know how to price that without it sounding a bit too high.  $70 bucks? Maybe at that price you'd rather make one?  Call around for a parts car?

What are you talking about?

How is putting the brake switch bracket in making the car less original when the hole for it is right there on the brake pedal arm?

Dealers added things like Cruise control, Twilight Sentinel, Auto Dimming, etc all the time back then, pre-delivery in many cases.

The only thing that was a real PITA to add was Climate Control, but that was in abut 95% of Cadillacs by 1969. 

My engine is back in and I got a couple pics, but I have to DL them to the ThinkPad first. A day or two.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

WTL

I'm thinking you got us mixed up.  My car came with CC.  His did not.  I see no problem adding CC to a car that could have been equipped.  But if I remove the bracket, then I'm going to be the one in a few years looking for that one part should I want to restore the car more faithfully. 

69Deville

Quote from: WTL on November 08, 2017, 10:08:43 AM
I'm thinking you got us mixed up.  My car came with CC.  His did not.  I see no problem adding CC to a car that could have been equipped.  But if I remove the bracket, then I'm going to be the one in a few years looking for that one part should I want to restore the car more faithfully.

I completely understand not wanting to part with the bracket. As a favor, do you think you could take a few pics of where that bracket is mounted. I have read it mounts to the firewall and that it is mounted to a crossmember. I want to ensure I know where the bracket actually goes if I do come across one.

I appreciate all the advice and help. This forum is incredible.

cadillacmike68

Are you referring to the brake shut-off switch bracket or something else? I's not going to be easy to find, but any 1968 or 69  with CC should have one. the Calif and Ari car boneyards should be able to get them for you.

And WTL, Yes, I hadn't realized that the OP wanted you to sell him your bracket. I woldn't want to part with mine either, especially since my CC works perfectly.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

WTL

The question is, are the boneyards gonna insist on selling the entire cruise control system together or are they going to tell him just that one specific bracket. 

I will gladly help all I can I will take pictures tonight and if you need measurements I might be able to get those for you too.  Actually think it could be made as it looks to be plain steel that is bent in a certain shape.