News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Authenticity Manual - If Only I'd Known...

Started by cappy102, November 28, 2017, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

Had I ordered the Authenticity Manual before doing ANYTHING with this car, I would have been better off. There are so many details to be aware of.

Example: When I had the brake booster re-built, I didn't realize that the cast portion was supposed to remain unpainted. The re-builder painted all of it black. If I'd known, I could have saved him the trouble. Now I'm wondering whether to strip the paint off or just leave it and call it a lesson learned.

Also, if you look at the right rear in the photo (outboard of the blister), there are three numbers in chalk next to the firewall. They are important. Luckily, I haven't started painting the engine compartment. They will get masked off before any paint gets near them.

Having the Authenticity Manual will save a lot of time, money, and hair-pulling. It's worth more than its price.
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

m-mman

Yup even if you are not interested in points competition the books are a must have.

They were written/compiled by experts for the purpose of sharing their expertise.

The author(s) have looked at many, many examples of the particular years/models (including restored, original, and ratty, totally untouched parts cars) and made decisions about what is 'correct' about how they were actually built. In most cases the author(s) are sharing decades of experience that cannot be duplicated as many of the cars that have been examined and photographed no longer exist.

In many cases there are even technical and repair tips.  So, not cheap, but well worth the money.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

cadillacmike68

I do believe that 1957s originally came with maxwell house coffee cans (them being blue) rather than the green can you have now.  :P

I know how my car originally appeared and I know how I want it. The two are not necessarily the same in every specific detail...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cappy102

Actually, Mr Santos, this is a designer air filter in the 'Pop Art' style. You wouldn't believe what I paid for it.
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

gary griffin

You have my full understanding. I am near the end of a several year restoration of a 1942 Cadillac and I installed the incorrect trunk emblem. It is wider than the correct one and installing it scratched the new paint job.  Now I have to live with the incorrect emblem or find a correct one and pay to have my paint restored in that area.  I also got the authenticity manual too late. Best of luck, just wanted you to know it is not uncommon to have errors like that.  "If only I had known"
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Marty Michaels

The Authenticity manual is the thing I buy ,right after the car .Marty Michaels
Marty Michaels
1947 6269
1941 6019s
CLC#26833