News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1982 Fleetwood limousine trim issues/restoration

Started by ant2173, December 06, 2017, 03:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant2173

Hello to all from Moscow, Russia!

I carry out a slow project of refreshing 1982 Cadillac fleetwood factory limousine. To tell the truth the car is in pretty bad condition, but I do not give up and sooner or later I want him make him a real show car.

Now my question is about numerous trim pieces, chrome-plated mouldings, that are located along the body. They are all worn out, faded and even with mechanical damages.

As examples:

1. Windshield moulding piece:

2017-12-05 18-58-03.JPG

2. Window mouldings:

2017-12-05 18-59-13.JPG

2017-12-05 18-59-23.JPG

2017-12-05 18-59-43.JPG

2017-12-05 19-03-46.JPG

6. Dents on vinyl top mouldings:

2017-12-05 19-20-28.JPG

7. Another window moulding:

2017-12-05 20-38-36.JPG

These are only a bit of examples, that shows average trim condition. Also it`s not a simple sedan, it`s a factory limo, and I don`t think it`ll be possible to find good trim for rear doors and for long roof.

Could you help me with some advice, how can I revive these moldings? From what materials are they done, and what remedies can be applied to them to make them flat and shiny?

Thanks in advance!
Anton

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Anton,

For the stainless steel pieces, any good body man should be able to bring them back to life, and then they need polishing.   But, I suppose the question is, are the custom pieces actually Stainless Steel, or simpl;y steel that has been chrome plated.

I will leave the other questions for people that have a better knowledge of these parts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jaxops

Cadillac limousines of the 1980s had the plastic fender extensions, smaller frames (starting at 1976) and even had a plastic auxiliary fan to cool the engine.  Saying that and having worked with these as new cars at my father's dealership, I wouldn't think the trim pieces were chromed.  I agree that a good trim guy could remove the dents and buff these out.  The trick is getting them off without bending or crushing them.   A lot of the trim holders were slide on and also plastic so check out http://www.rjlautofasteners.com/ and other suppliers to get your fasteners together.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

ant2173

Thanks for your replies!

I agree that trim producing technologies of 1980`s were cheaper in comparison with previous years. Although, having carefully examined the moldings, I came into opinion that they are made out of some metal alloy, maybe duralumin, and covered by "chrome" imitating coating.

Since this is not a full-fledged metal and not stainless steel, there must certainly be special technologies for its restorating and polishing...

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Anton -

Provide a little more info on your car - what car company did the limo conversion- and some people in the professional car circles might have more detail about your trim (what it is made of and restoration process).  The 1982 Fleetwood should still be the full-size, rear-wheel drive model, and they were popular for limo conversions.

Good luck - I am sure that there are not too many of these driving the streets of Moscow!

Tod

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

He says the car is a factory production model however I cannot say from the images provided.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

ant2173

Yes, it`s a factory RWD limousine, body by Fisher, interior by fleetwood and no other coachbuilders :)

Here are some photos of my car:

2017-10-21 15-43-02.JPG

Currently it`s dissasembled for body and paint works.

Indeed it is a factory limousine. Engine will be the 6.0 liter V8-6-4 with THM400 transmission.

Good luck with the project. That's quite an undertaking.

ant2173

Thanks! Yes, it`s one of the last big block cadillacs. However, the 8-6-4 system was removed by previous owner, now there`s Rochester Q-jet carbureator  :'(
The issue is that he also removed and threw away the ECM and some of the wiring harness! I already purchased used ECM from eBay, but wiring harness is really hard to find remotely. Your American junkyard workers usually do not keep wiring and cut it into pieces to sell some modules separately.

I understand that it`s quite difficult, long and costly project, that`s why I`m here with hope to receive some help.  :)

The V8-6-4 was used in the factory limousine models until 1984 which was the final year for the rear wheel drive model.

For some reason Cadillac did not provide the MPG fuel data panel on Limousine models. I have never been able to discover the reasons why.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 06, 2017, 12:10:15 PM
....For some reason Cadillac did not provide the MPG fuel data panel on Limousine models. I have never been able to discover the reasons why.
Heck, I know why.   The numbers available wouldn't go low enough. ;)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 06, 2017, 06:27:58 PM
Heck, I know why.   The numbers available wouldn't go low enough. ;)

Either that or fuel economy was the least of the Limousine owner's worries.  ;D

nysdarkblue

Hi, get some very, very, fine steel wool with chrome polish and try it on a small area of somewhere not to noticeable. This worked for me on my 90 Brougham.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX