News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Starter Removal for 1940 6227C

Started by ebuliavac, December 08, 2017, 12:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Did you get shorter bolts for "next time?" The original ones are wayyyy too long. The top one is a great place to use for one of your grounds. And don't forget to open up the hole on your ground strap so that it doesn't bind when you're trying to move the bolt into place with your fingers. In any case, we're glad you got the job done.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

ebuliavac

Thanks Barry.  Someone probably got shorter bolts before me, as these were maybe 1 1/2."  I turned them as far as I could with my fingers, and then turned them some more with my fingers....finally fiddled with the wrenches.  Got a little tennis elbow from un-sticking the bolts at the beginning, probably the lower one, but it's getting better pretty quickly.  Used mostly my left arm to finish the job. 

My next project is to improve the cold idle.  It barely turns, and shakes a lot.  It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago.  I was trying to cam the points when the starter blew.  I think I am OK with ignition, so maybe it's a carb adjustment, or vacuum problem.  I'll have to do a search here to see what's next. 

Ed
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham

ebuliavac

Just to follow up on the cold idle, I leaned the mixture with one full turn on each screw (figured needed this because cold winter air) and it started right up and idled smooth, so I am done for now. 

Ed
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham

bcroe

My moral is, "If a job isn't going well, step back and see if a
different tool is needed.".  Custom made tools can solve many
problems, if none is on the market.  I have quite a collection,
including one I made this month for a tight spot.  Bruce Roe