News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Painting a rare 1942 trunk emblem

Started by gary griffin, December 13, 2017, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I have painted numerous Cadillac hub cap emblems and they were pretty good but I  am looking for a professional to paint this one?  Any body have any recommendations as to who could do a professional job?

The first pictures  are the newly chromed one I want painted, and the other one is from the authenticity manual. 

I had mixed up the parts from a couple of other projects and thought mine was lost so have been looking for a replacement but now not needed!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gary, This would be a LOT easier to paint than a '41 of which I've done several. Simply mask off the various areas using the authenticity manual as a guide. For the large area under the crest, get a can of Testor's Candy Apple Red model paint and spray that inside the masked area. Just take your time. I bet Jeff (Hansen) did his. Ask him how he did it. (He won a First Place Primary in Savannah with his '42.)

The main thing is to not try to take the masking tape off too soon and see how great a job you've done. If you make a mistake, simply wipe the paint off with enamel reducer. It won't hurt the chrome.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

gary griffin

Thanks Barry I just might give it a try. Hard to tell the other colors with the poor picture in the authenticity manual. I see black red and yellow or?  Probably similar to the hub cap emblems? I know chrome does not hold on to paint too well? Should I etch it with an acid first?

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

NO! You're making a simple job complex without need. Cadillac did not etch their parts when they put paint on them, why should you? Please pick up your phone and call Jeff Hansen and find out how he did it. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd send you a clear picture as well.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Glen

Has anybody tried to use power coat for this?  Put the proper color in each section then when you have it just right put it in the oven to set the powder coat. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104