News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 Model 62 dash/sills PAINT?

Started by Doug Lansing, November 19, 2004, 07:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Lansing

Just bought a very nice 49 Model 62 with correct dark blue finish. The dash and window sills are the same color, a repaint but very well done.  Is that correct?  Ive seen a variety of dash/sill colors and even a woodgrain on similar Model 62 prize-winning 49.  Suggestions to how I can research this and get the facts?  Many thanks.

doug lansing 21659

As promised, I said Id get back with tha answer to this woodgraining issue. Matt Larson, Archivist at Cadillac Archives, GM Heritage Center, has clarified the original dash finish issue for my 49 6269 sedan. It HAD to be woodgrain "applied transfer."  The door garnish moldings were the same.  The steering column was Burr Brown.  He firmly stated that after extensive review, he could GUARANTEE that interior special orders were virtually non-existent. So the idea that my repainted Triumph Blue interior dash might have been a repaint of  a special order Triumph Blue is bogus. Someone probably wanted to clean up a faded original woodgrain finish, and spraying it Triumph Blue was easiest and cheapest (and looks good). Matt Laraon is a great communicator and very helpful. Now to locate a quality woodgrain restoration person who can make this "as original."  Thanks for all the input on the subject.