News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hydraulic pump switch; 8 volt power resistor

Started by Frank 21888, January 16, 2005, 07:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank 21888

I have a 52 Cad convertible.  Need to replace the solenoid switch on the hydraulic pump.  Anyone have one or know where I can get one?

Also thinking of using an 8 volt battery for starting purposes.  Anyone know where I can get a power resistor to drop volts back to 6 for accessories and lights?  Also what size resistor?

Thanks for the help...

Frank

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi Frank- Call John at Vintage Parts on S 35th here in Phoenix.Ph 602-415-1500 I saw some used pumps the last time I was there. He might have the solenoid you need.

John.Washburn

Frank,

This is just your basic 6 Volt solenoid, Napa should have it. If not Check with the Ford after market guys.

jw

Doug. Houston

To me, one of the highest sins in vintage car ownership is the use of 8 Volt batteries. The starters worked just fine when new, and they start slowly because theyve deteriorated from age and having slop thrown up onto them over the years. You ned to find a genuinely good starter shop with a solid recommendation from some knowledgeable person who knows what they can....and will do.  

If you were to use a dropping resistor for the various electrical loads, the resistor would have to be changed when you turned on the lights, then change again when you turn them off. Another change when you run the heater, switch from high to low beams, turn on the radio...and on and on ad infinitum. Ive seen a few radios that had been on 8 Volt systems, and all that was needed to replace the cremated power supply was a power transformer, vibrator and well, the whole power supply. Dropping resistors for the instruments? Ive never seen dash instruments operate properly with such a setup.

I dont know who to recommend for competent work. ANY shop will take the job, but precious few shops really know what to do, and are willing to do it. If you cant do the work yourself, youre at the mercy of incompetence.

Jeff Maltby #4194

Doug H. Great to see you posting once again-thanks.

To spare any further hot air from D.H, about a subject that Doug knows more about that any of us put together! I just happen to have the May 1976 Self Starter article written by Doug back then= "There is hope for tired STARTERS" in my hands at this very moment.

Email me direct for digital pictures of Dougs "Superb" tech article and thank You D.H for all your wisdom from your past-present Cadillac life that I for one, respect all these years later.

Jeffo 49 Fastback :<) 1952-05