News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76-79 or 88-91 Seville Reviews wanted

Started by Jeff Burland #12555, January 20, 2005, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Burland #12555

Hi,

Its time to get the Mrs. into Cadillac as a daily driver. While money is certainly an issue, reliability and side stepping pitfalls would be preferred.

Shes keen on the years above as Ive had a 77 and 79 with the Olds 350 and loved em. Daily driver is a 90 LeSabre, which she loves, but its having multiple issues.

While the diesel version is not an option, the 77-9 may be a better choice from a resale and system simplicity view. On the other had, the newer style may be more enjoyable as a daily driver if nothing else than for having 20 yrs of newer technology under its......her seat. ;-)

I know the 91s have the 4.9, which is preferrable, but really dont know of the other issues other possibly suspension controls quirks. Any one out there with opinions, fire at will. thanks, Jeff

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I really like the first generation Sevilles.  The engine is, of course, very sound, but from what I have read many times from owners is that the Bendix first-generation fuel injection (analog, not digital)tends to be very troublesome and difficult to diagnose and repair. The main box is no longer available, but can be rebuilt by someone very knowledgeable about them. If you didnt have EFI problems with yours, you were probably lucky. The 88-91s, in most peoples opinion, are not as distinctive as the first two generations but, I think, are pretty good cars although they have a lot of complicated electronics (including the very expensive digital instrument display)like all subsequent Cadillacs which are great when they work, but expensive to repair or replace. The 4.5 TBI engine (88-89), 4.5 MPFI (90) and 4.9 MPFI are good engines.  The MPFI engines are higher-compression and require premium and all of them have aluminum blocks which, although vastly improved over the HT4100, still dont handle overheating as well as cast iron.  How about a 92? Theyre great looking, have the 4.9, and shouldnt be too much more expensive than a comparable-condition 91.