News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seville STS

Started by Hanna, January 25, 2005, 06:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanna

Hello,

Im sorry. I seek a help.  I need help. Im from Poland. I live in Polnad but I love  American cars! I bought a  Cadillac Seville STS  93 , engine: 4,6 L northstar. This is wondefful the car but I have a one problem.

When  I go at leisure  and slowly - 2 000 RPM â€" it’s OK.! But  when I  speed up â€" the revolution  - 3 000 RPM and  more.  I have problem â€" the temperature  raises  96 degrees centigrade (Celsius) to 110 degrees centigrade  and more. The temperature is too high. It displays an alertâ€" “ Engine stopped …”  

What is this? What reason is that?

Greetings
Hanna

Mike #19861

Start with the simple things first. Check the Radiator for restrictions. Lime build up can restrict the flow in the rad.

96-110C is fairly normal for todays cars, though. Many times, the fans will not come on until the temp gets to 106-108C. Check to see that the fans do come on.

Make sure there are no air pockets in the cooling system and that it is properly topped up. Make sure it is correctly bled. The service manual outlines the procedure. Maybe someone here with the manual could copy and send this section.

Mike

David #19063

Hello Hanna,

We have a 96 DeVille Concours, 300 HP Northstar.

Generally, it runs in the 205 F (96 C) range Summer and Winter.

I think 230 F (110 C) is too hot.

What color is your anti-freeze?  I know in 96, we have to use the special Dex-Cool which is orange, not the regular anti-freeze which is yellow-green.

Is your coolant to the full line?

Also check on Mike suggestion of air in the coolant.

Maybe someone can tell us which ne is required in your 93?

Also, we got the "Stop engine" light once when the waterpump went bad.  Replacing the waterpump corrected our problem.

Remember, these are aluminum engines...and they do not tolerate overheating.

David

wm link

Dex cool (I think) was used later. I would verify that the cooling fans are operating (although there should be a warning message to that effect if not) and that there is not a pressure loss somewhere.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I read once that Dexcool and regular antifreeze/coolant should not be mixed and that if your GM car did not come with Dexcool (and 93s did not)you should not refill it with Dexcool as it is almost impossible to completely purge the system and a small amount of  regular antifreeze/coolant will remain in it. Conversely, the same rule applies if your car did come with Dexcool...replace it only with Dexcool.

Mike #19861

GM began using Dexcool in about 1994 on some light trucks, and gradually expanded its use to the entire line. It should not matter what type of coolant is in your car.

Dexcool is a low silicate coolant, that is why it lasts so long. It also has the ability to coat the surfaces with a protective coating. Putting conventional coolant in a system with dexcool wil not contaminate it, but will destroy the beenfits of it. Conversely, adding Dexcool in a system that has had conventional coolant will not give the benefits. Dexcool must be added to a virgin system, ie a new car, to gain the benefits.

I forgot to mention to check the waterpump belt. It runs the waterpump off the rear of the exhaust cam on the front bank. Of this is worn, missing or slipping, it can lead to the overheating you are experiencing.

Mike