News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 cadillac

Started by Scott MacElree, February 15, 2005, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott MacElree

I was wondering if anyone knows how many 1976 cadillac coupe deville delegances were made? How do i join this club? Thank you, Scott: skccaddy@hotmail.com

Barry Wheeler #2189

Hi, and welcome. It would be difficult to know how many dElegance CDVs were made as this was an interior option, and to GM, this # would have been in an in-house report, and not given out to the general public. Also, they were not interested at all in the minute trivia that we enjoy so much, other than how it helped them sell cars in the future. I had one of your cars for a short time, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Good luck with it, and I hope you enjoy the Club. Best regards, Barry (Past President, 1987-1991.)

Frank #12944

These were truly great automobiles, last of the big Cadillacs with a truly sumptuos interior, both the deVilles and Fleetwoods that had this option.
I started in the automotive field at a Cadillac store in 1976, a medium sized store in Southern California, and I recall these cars as if it was yesterday-the number of cars with this option doesnt seem as if it was more than about 10percent. Probably because of Californias preference for leather interiors-very few standard cloth cars came through as well. Plus the high cost of the stand alone delegance option, $650.00 for deVilles and $885.00 for Fleetwoods, compared to leather interiors at $220.00 and $235.00 respectively. Even today, as we scan ebay and autotraders etc, a Delegance is a rare find. I soon hope to find the right Coupe to add alongaisw my 61 and 47 coupes....

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Welcome.  Make sure that when you join the club that you also join and participate in your local region.  It is one way of learning a lot about your Cadillac and other Cadillacs, and you will have a good time doing so.

I do not know if it helps, but the Standard Catalogue of Cadillac states there were a total of 114,482 two door coupes produced in 1976.  The factory price was $9,067.00.  The dElegnce option package was a $650.00 option.   If you do not already have it, you may want to consider purchasing the Standard Catalogue of Cadillacs.   I believe it costs about $20 to $30.00 and contains many interesting facts and pictures.

Mike #19861

Perhaps Cadillac will have the numbers in their archives, just as the Talisman numbers have surfaced. It seems to me I remember seeing numbers posted for the inaugural season the option was offered. 1973.

Regionally, I suspect the numbers may vary. Here in Canada, this option was fairly popular. Many I have seen have it, including the 75 CDV I had for many years. Leather was never really popular here because it was so cold in the winter. Ever sat in a leather seat in -20C weather? Youll get the picture. Because of this, cloth was more pupular and the upgraded dElegance was truly sumptuous.

Mike

Steve Crum 20999

Enlighten me, how do you tell the Delegance package?
I just bought a 76 CDV for parts. Nice interior. The fellow said it had a red interior. When I went to pick it up it has the red, but the seats cream colored and the door panels cream colored with red trim. I have the 76 factory service manual so when I get a chance, Ill look and see if theres anything special before I take it apart.

Bob Dziewit

The distinquishing feature of the DeElegance package was the upholstery.  The seats had deep padding which looked like pillows were permanently sewed on.  There were DeElegance emblems on the B/C pillars of the coupes, and I believe, on the instrument panel.  This was a time when late model Cadillacs were still known for their exceptional re-sale value.  GM employee families like mine could buy these cars new with the employee discount and sell them a year later and break even, or at a profit.  The problem was, expensive and/or unpopular options like the DeElegance package would not contribute their share to the re-sale value, so, many of these cars got built without them.  In the mid-seventies, tilt-telescopic wheel, power locks and the half vinyl tops on the coupes were nearly mandatory for good re-sale.  Heaven forbid a car loaded with options or a stripped down Calais.  I toyed with buying a black series 75 sedan that year if I could arrange for an undertaker to buy it from me once my end-of-model year or six months minimum ownership was up.