News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Towing a 76 Eldorado

Started by Ray CLC #17595, February 27, 2005, 10:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray CLC #17595

I am in Southeast Michigan and need to find a trailer to tow my 1976 Eldorado convertible.   The trailers available to rent at most self-moving facilities do not seem to accomodate the vehicles weight and size dimensions.  Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

I have hauled my 74 Eldo on a 1988 Bowsman car trailer.  It has a 16 bed and is the old narrow bed.  All I had to do was to take the hub caps off.  I dont remember what weight it is built for, but I have it licensed for 9K.  As long as the tires will take the weight the trailer should.  Come to think of it, I think the trailer coupler says 6K but I dont remember if that is load wt. or gross wt.  Anyhow, I hauled an Lincoln Cont. on it last summer from MN. to CO.

I have rented a 16 or 18 ft featherlight aluminum trailer to haul a 57 Eldo for a friend.

Good Luck  Bob C

Bill Edmunds - #5484

An article by Tim Pawl on page 24 of the March, 2004 issue of The Self-Starter discusses towing 1971-74 Eldorados.  As an aside, my open car trailer weights about 2,000 pounds and is equipped with two 3,500 pound rated axles.  The Eldos 5,000+ pound weight renders the trailer marginal for towing the car any significant distance.

Porter 21919

Ray,

How far do you need to transport the car and what type of tow vehicle do you have ?

A 60s / 70s Cadillac is a huge car, a one ton tow vehicle is about right, you need good brakes.

I hired a flat bed truck to haul my 67 CDV 45 miles, $ 50 an hour , money well spent, they have huge trucks and insurance, they are pros, do it all the time.

Porter

Ray CLC #17595

Thanks for the replies.  I do have the Self Starter with Tims article in it from a couple months back so I know the specifications required.  The problem I am having is finding a trailer that meets those specs!  So, I was looking for leads or ideas.

I would be hauling the car on a round trip journey of over 1,200 miles and was originally thinking of using my 2004 ESV Platinum as the tow vehicle.  I believe it is rated to tow 7400 lbs.  Alternatively, I could probably borrow my brothers one ton Dodge Ram pickup but for sheer comfort I would prefer to be driving the ESV.