News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

64 fuel vapor problem (urgent)

Started by Jeff Kinzler, April 18, 2005, 12:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kinzler

I need some technical help:

I just acquired a 64 eldorado convetible in original unrestored and running condition. Put it in the garage and had a terrible overpowering gasoline fume problem. Smell is around trunk area.  We removed and pressure tested the tank, replaced the sending unit gasket, and all hoses and lines are replaced and are clean and snug. No seepage or smell on any of them. The gas cap seems to seal fine, and the end of the overflow tube is dry.  Car runs and accelerates well,no signs of fuel starvation or air in the lines.

IF any one has a solution to this problem I would greatly appreciate your sharing it with me.

Jeff Kinzler
Melville, N.Y.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jeff,

Seems like you have done everything to stop the fuming problem.

My 60CDV had a simillar problem, but the rear filer pipe hose had a loose clamp, but it only stank when the tank was full.

You said that you have replaced all the hoses, so there has to be something simple.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

George

If the smell persisted after you had done all the bits, and you are sure the top of the tank does not have a hole in it. The problem has to be a leak at one or more of the orifices. Remove each one at a time and seal each of the openings with a plastic bag and a rubber band. If the smell goes you know which one is at fault. If the smell persists, then look somewhere else.

Jeff

George,
Thank you for your reply. When you say  each orifice do you mean the fuel inlet, fuel filter, etc., or the air horn on top of  the carburetor. I originally tried to cover the carb with a plastic cover from an ice cream container, but it didnt seem to have any effect. Do you think that the carburetor could be causing this problem?
Jeff

George

Yes every outlet from the tank. if you seal them one by one and the smell of gas goes away. then that likely is the one with the leak. Its possible the smell of gas could come from anywhere on the system, even a flooded or leaking carb. remove the air cleaner and check the carb area visually. but if as you say the smell is strongest in the trunk. That is probably the area where it is coming from. If it is just a smell and not a visible wet area on the floor, it likely is fumes from an orifice.

Jeff Kinzler

George
Thanks again for your follow up.  I have consulted with carburetor and fuel pump experts and the consensus is that it is something to do with the tank.  Again every hose, line and connection is clean dry and does not leave an odor on your glove if you touch it. I took the carb off to a rebuild shop and the car smelled t he same with the carb off and the lines and manifold holes all sealed. The carb guy didnt think the carb was the problem when he saw it. NExt week I will return the the tank guy and we will look again at the top of the tank.  They pressure tested it and said it was okay. Maybe the gasket they replaced at the sending unit didnt seal properly.

Thanks again for your help. This is a really tough problem.

Joe G CLC 12138

I had a similar problem on a 65 Deville. My initial problem was hard starting/ long cranking after not running the car for few weeks, but I also had some gas odor after shutdown. Turns out that the old rubber hose that crosses over the top of the rear axle had a small crack on the very top. This did not leak gas when the engine was running, as there was suction on the line. But when the car was shut down, whatever gas was at the crack could evaporate or leak. But not much, because that was the high point in the fuel line system. However, that vacuum break in the line made for a delay in getting fuel to the carb after being parked for a while. It would start, use up the fuel in the carb bowl, and then it would be  crank away till it starts or prime with raw gas. It was tough to find because there was no puddles, and the hose looked good from the bottom view. But the crack was on the outer radius of the bend, on top.

Warren Rauch

You dont say if this car has air conditioning or not. Without air there is only one line from the tank to the gas filter on the engine, but with air there is an added vapor line. If you would by chance have a part system from each type, it would leave a line open somewhere on the car.  Check that the tank sending unit  and the filter have the same number of lines. Warren