News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 w/ wet carburator

Started by Dave Greenburg (3830), April 23, 2005, 03:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Greenburg (3830)

When I turn off my 59 Fleetwood (Rochester 4GC), it stinks up the garage with gas fumes.  Removing the air cleaner reveals that the top deck of the carb. is wet with gas.  I cant figure out where this gas is coming from.  When I look at it when the engine is running, theres no visible gas (maybe its evaporating from the heat?).  My guess is that the float level is out of kilter, although the carb was professionally rebuilt a couple of years ago.  Is there a way to check the float level without special tools?  Anyone have any other thoughts on where the gas is coming from?

Dave G.
59 Fleetwood 60S

George

Remove the air cleaner, have someone take the car for a run to warm it up, when they get back open the hood (oops almost put bonne) cut the motor and watch where the gas is coming from.

Ed Mobley

A buddy of mine had the same problem on his 62 hearse and it was coming from a loose fuel pipe connection on the body of the carb.  

Ed

John Washburn

Dave,

Generally if the floats are adjusted incorrectly, or have a hole in them gas will be every where (unless they are adjusted to low then you have no gas)...

Anyway the shop manual shows you how to adjust the floats, all you need is a good way to measure the floats, but it sounds like that is not the problem.

Take the carb apart and check for dirt, clean everything with carb cleaner, replace the needles and seats (and adjust per the in instructions or the manual), with a good kit (the kit will provide the tool to adjust the floats), clean the inlet where the gas lines connect to the carb, make sure you have a good filter before the carb.

Then all should be well. Most times -- time will turn gas to varnish and clog things up.

Good Luck

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Dave Greenburg (3830)

Thanks, all for your input.  I have not had a chance to open the carb yet, but defintely need to do more detective work.  All the fuel lines are tight and dry, so I dont think thats the problem.

-Dave G.
59 Fleetwood 60S

JIM CLC # 15000

04-25-05
Dave, before tearn into the carb, read the post by Joe G, posted 04-24-05 @ 10:31 PM.( in the general forum section).
It just might be the solution to your problem.
Good Luck, Jim

Dave Greenburg (3830)

Jim:

Thanks for the tip, but I cant seem to find the post by Joe G. despite searching several ways. What was the subject line?

Dave