News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

425 Engine Rock at Idle

Started by George Woodford clc21025, April 25, 2005, 10:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Woodford clc21025

I have a question what causes a 425 engine to rock while idling? Once you accelerate, the engine runs smooth.  The engine has very low mileage.  I havent had a chance to check it myself, but thought I would get a read from the experts.  Thanks.

George

If your engine is fine at high revs, look for faults in the low rev system. Check the idle speed, Does it have an idle stop solenoid. Is the EGR working properly, it could be stuck slightly open.  Check the PCV valve, Its not likely to be ignition or it would run more unevenly under load.

David #19063

Hello George,

Bad motor mounts could make the engine shake more as well.

To check them.

Open your hood, start your engine, FIRMLY apply the brakes (but not the parking brake), and either look throught the windshield under your open hood or have some standing on the side of the car looking at the engine, then while pressing hard on the brake, start pressing on the gas.

The engine should torque a little, but not lift up or anything.

David