News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 400THM Transmission Parts

Started by Rob Gerace #16100, May 02, 2005, 11:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Gerace #16100

Hi Everyone,
   Does anyone know where I could get a couple parts for the transmission for my 66 SDV?  It needs a rear extension housing bushing, and the rear driveshaft seal.  Oh, and Im assuming Ill need the o-ring seal that goes between the extension housing and the case.  

I had it up on the lift last week, and the driveshaft could be moved up and down within the transmission quite noticeably by hand.  So, my THM400 book says that the extension housing bushing is bad.  And Im guessing the excessive movement of the shaft caused the seal to go bad.  

Anyway, Id appreciate any leads on trans parts like these.  Thanks a lot.

Rob
66 SDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Rob,

Any Transmission Shop will be able to supply the correct extension housing seal, gasket, and bushing.

The TH400 was fitted to a lot of vehicles, so they wont be hard to find.

The Bushing will require a press to remove the old one and replace the new one, to do the job properly, and all Transmission shops will have the necessary mandrels etc.   I have changed bushings with careful application of a hammer and large socket as the mandrel.

Sorry I cant help you with Part Numbers.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rob Gerace #16100

Thanks for the tip, Bruce.  My boss at the shop that I work part time at, suggested one of the trans shops that we outsource to.  So, Ill give that a try.  Theres only one thing that I worry about.  My car has the early-style long extension housing, that I think was only used from 64-66, and possibly only on the Cadillacs.  So, that might be hard to find what Im looking for.  Even though the THM400 is rather common, this version I have looks like it isnt that common.  Maybe they all use the same bushings and seals and stuff, so I might get lucky.  Thanks again, and Ill let you all know how it works out.

Rob

Lynn 10923

The long tailshaft was used through 76 on Cadillacs, and on many other cars too. In 68 Cadillacs the bushing diameter was increased for a larger diameter yoke. The 67 and earlier bushings are smaller, but still shouldnt be any trouble for a transmission shop to turn up.

Lynn

Rob Gerace #16100

Thanks for the tip, Lynn.  Ill probably get in touch with the trans shop on Saturday and see what they can do for me.  Ill post what I find on here.  

Rob