News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Does anyone else drive their classic Cadillac as thair daily driver?

Started by Bill Young, December 04, 2014, 08:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Young

I also Live in Georgia. I used to live ( exist ) in New York State where everything is taxed to death , illegal , or you have to have a license for it. Up there the cops set up traps on expressway on ramps checking peoples inspection and license plate stickers and issuing tickets. In Georgia there is no State inspection and no plate stickers on the windshield and only a rear plate. I have lived here almost three years and have never been stopped to say nothing of being entrapped. Huge differences.

gross707

I recently visited Los Angeles where older cars seem to be driven on a regular basis.  I routinely saw cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s mixing it up during the daily commute.   Estimating that at least 5% of the daily drivers out there are these older cars it made the slow crawl a bit less intolerable.
Gerald
Gerald Ross

James Landi

Once again, the state DMV laws vary dramatically... here in the south (S.C.), there are some downright scary cars on the road... NO annual inspections, no pollution checks, and registration of ANY vehicle does not involve having it appear at an official site --- the car does not even have to be in SC.   As long as you have an address and license in the state, you can register your car, even when your car resides in another state.  (if you're fortunate to be a snowbird and have two homes, this works well).

Bill Young

James that is interesting about South Carolina. Here in North Georgia most of the Cars are new to a few years old and I have not seen more than a handful of vehicles that seemed suspect in terms of mechanical condition. Perhaps I am not well enough informed about this area.

James Landi

The DMV rules vary so much from state to state.  So for us, South Carolina works well.  We use our old Cadillacs, we "self insure (i.e. no collision), and don't have to concern ourselves about annual state checks.  Owing a "vintage car" requires nothing more than registering, paying the taxes on it, and providing liability insurance for it.  The rest is up to the owner to maintain it and keep it road worthy...no special plates, no limits on mileage, no state inspections... don't have to have it inspected to have it registered from out of state...  and, as I mentioned, we don't even have to have the car IN THE STATE to register it...incredible,

bill06447

Well, here in Connecticut Classic/antique plates are available for vehicles 20 or more model years old. They allow you to display YOM plates and  freeze your property tax assessment at $500. If you drop your liability insurance the state DMV requires you to turn in your plates, even if it's just for the off-season, or risk suspension. Then it's a huge mess to get anything registered again both in aggravation and financially. We have no emissions for vehicles over 25 years old, no inspection for any passenger vehicle but you CAN be cited for improper equipment and a roadside inspection by one of the dozens of roaming state inspectors.

Bill

James Landi

Interesting observations Will... My '85 convertible is not a "standout" for the majority of the American driving public; however, when I drove my 1956, 62 four door "8 window" sedan back in the 1970's, I received constant attention, and clearly, most any 50's or early model 60's cars seem unique in traffic. The safety issue is another concern... during the summer we stay in North East Harbor, Maine, and there are a bunch of ancient autos running around on the island... (and not exposed to competitive traffic challenges).

gary griffin

In Washington we can license collectables with proper year plate (Model Year of the car) or state issued "Collector" plates.  No annual fee or tax but restricted to Tours, car shows, club events, and occasional pleasure driving.
I do a lot of "occasional pleasure driving" in the summer.
No inspections or emission requirements.  As to insurance we can buy "Driver Polices" to cover anything we happen to be driving for liability if we are willing to risk not having collision.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

Its interesting to hear about the clause in the Connecticut classic plate program about having to maintain the minimum insurance year round.   I wonder how many more states have that?   Wound not surprise me if that was common.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadillac Nut

I drive my '67 Cadillac limo frequently.  Not a daily driver but use it often when I need to get somewhere, running errands, etc.  I have had no issues with the car breaking down because it's an old car or anything like that.   Extremely reliable.  I have regular insurance on it w/ collision.  Once I start driving some of my more valuable cars I will find an agreed valued policy.   In IL, a vintage car can be issued plates like any regular car  (what I do)  or as an "antique", which has restricted driving rules.    The insurance can be dealt with and shouldn't keep anyone from driving and enjoying their vintage Cadillac as often as they want to.

Garrett

wbdeford

My '58 Sedan de Ville is an approximately-weekly driver from April-November....much less frequently the rest of the year due to snow and salt (northeast Ohio).  I try to make most of its driving be "useful" miles, as opposed to just driving it.  I'm hoping to get an opportunity to drive it Thursday during this warmer-than-normal, but wet-so-far December.  Been drizzling for days.  It hasn't been more than sprinkled on since 2001.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Bill Young

Thats another advantage of living in North Georgia. Winter mostly consists of approx 32 F. at night and 45 to 69 F during the day and sunshine most days. Snow is almost not seen. I drive both my Cadillacs year round no problem. Gas here is about $2.35 a gallon for regular.

gary griffin

Art,

Your 1938  is just a couple of years ahead of turn signals being optional on new cars. As I recall in the 50's they were still not standard equipment but kits were available to convert older cars.

We had them on a 1941 Pontiac and then on a 1950 Chevrolet.

I have seen them on eBay by the way and possibly someone produces a new version??

As I always say Safety trumps authenticity!!

I have old English cars with trafficators which are small lighted arms that raise out of the B Pillar to signal a turn and they may as well be invisible as no one sees them, or if they do see them they do not know what their purpose is.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

57eldoking

Quote from: gary griffin on December 17, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
Art,

Your 1938  is just a couple of years ahead of turn signals being optional on new cars. As I recall in the 50's they were still not standard equipment but kits were available to convert older cars.

We had them on a 1941 Pontiac and then on a 1950 Chevrolet.

I have seen them on eBay by the way and possibly someone produces a new version??

As I always say Safety trumps authenticity!!

I have old English cars with trafficators which are small lighted arms that raise out of the B Pillar to signal a turn and they may as well be invisible as no one sees them, or if they do see them they do not know what their purpose is.

You can now buy wireless LED turn signals that are non-permanent. http://smartsignals.com/cms/ This is one vendor.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

mgbeda

Assuming the car is in thoroughly good condition I don't think there is a set age at which it could no longer be used as a daily driver.  But historically one has to look at the driving conditions the car was built for.

Back in the thirties and forties there were no "super-highways" and a car would not be expected to hit 70 mph on a daily basis, as many commuters do today.  The cars may be capable of going that fast, but it would be a rare thing, sort of like a modern car going 120.  It's possible, but your safety is NOT guaranteed.

This started to change in the 50's, but I think it wasn't until the mid to late 60's that cars really started to be designed for freeway driving.  Obviously each car was different and a Cadillac or Corvette, etc.,  would be more capable than a Rambler with a flathead six.

On the other hand I don't see where driving conditions have really changed much since the 70's.  Traffic might have gotten worse, but even so that probably just means that people in medium-sized cities now face the traffic that people in big cities did forty years ago.

Now there is the problem of availability of parts, and the changing knowledge possessed by mechanics.  I've had my oil changed and been told I should get my fuel injectors cleaned.  Because, like, all cars have fuel injectors, right?  (To be fair a mechanic from the 70's, if faced with a computer problem, would have no other option but to sacrifice a chicken.)  So if you break down in a modern car odds are it'll get fixed a lot sooner than a vintage one.

And there is the question of changing standards of what a car should be.  Cars today are certainly safer than equivalent cars of the 70's.  Air bags do make cars safer, but then so does several feet of solid steel instead of inches of polyurethane.  There were some older cars that got very good gas mileage, but those were also very slow compared to modern cars.  Cars today are faster than ever before, yet also (generally) get good gas mileage.  And as far as comfort features, a well equipped 70's Caddy has about the same equipment as an entry level economy car today.  Older cars needed much more maintenance - more frequent changes of oil and belts and spark plugs, and lubrication of the chassis to name a few things.  However the desirability of all these attributes is ultimately a personal choice, and someone might well decide to put up with certain "deficiencies" of a vintage car in order to enjoy its advantages (number one of which is: it's SO COOL).

I would say there's no reason one couldn't drive a 60's or later Caddy every day.  But you'll have to be mentally prepared for a few challenges.

1) You'll spend much more on gas.
2) You'd better learn how to fix at least the basics yourself, because even if you don't do it you'll probably have to explain it to the mechanic.
3) Carry a small supply of spare parts if you venture far from home.  Things like belts, hoses, light bulbs, the kind of things that are most likely to break and leave you stranded while you're waiting for parts to come in from somewhere else.
4) Practice preventive maintenance and keep your car in top shape.  And remember that the darnedest things can go wrong with a car more than 20 years old.  For instance the insulation on wires can get brittle and crack, especially under the hood.  Who thinks to check the condition of their wires?  Hopefully, you.
5) Have a cheerful attitude about whatever might happen.  But that'll be easy, because you'll be driving a vintage Cadillac!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I don't see it quite as black & white as that; rather it is a combination of individual circumstances that dictate how often a car can be driven and still be kept in excellent condition. 

Circumstances including type of duty, climate and environment (ie: road condition, traffic density).

If everything is just so, a car can theoretically be driven 365 and remain virtually perfect. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

James Landi

What a terrific conversation... very engaging.... as we investigate all aspects of driving our Cadillacs on a (relatively) daily basis (as opposed to preserving them as Garage Queens) is the inevitable looks of incredulity when you must bring your old gal in for a major repair, and the service station owner asks, "Are you sure you want to spend all that money on that old car?" He may actually be questioning one's sanity.  SO my point here in responding to the DAILY DRIVER question deals with having to justify my commitment to an old car.

Dan LeBlanc

A great deal depends on what the car is also.  While I don't question the reliability of my '61 Fleetwood, at the end of the day, the car has just a tad over 22,000 original miles on it.  It has never been restored and works like a new car.  It runs just as well as my 04 DeVille or my 09 Navigator.  Yes, it could easily be returned to service as a daily driver and maintained just as one would maintain a car.  The issue is the mileage that would be put on the car and the corresponding diminished value of such a car.

Each case is different - climate, annual distance driven, but, most importantly, the car itself.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

The key to keeping a car on the road and reliable, is maintenance.  Maintenance can
be broken down to that primarily related to miles, and that primarily related to years. 
Some owners only fix things when they break, so miles and reliability are mutually
exclusive.  Most owners tend to ignore all the rubber & plastic & grease that die of old
age just sitting.  I saw plenty of that on my 79 Eldo with 22,000 miles.  The grease in
sealed bearings will die and the bearing will have to be replaced.  Engines & transmissions
and brake systems have parts that will quit of old age. 

A few cars need to be in museums for historical purposes.  There are no museum cars
here.  Put a many decades old 100 mile car next to my 77 (200,000 miles), and we
will drive to the coast (the farthest coast).  My 77 will get there, but the 100 mile car
won't, because all the undone age maintenance will sabotage it. 

At a show, the only prize I want is for the highest mileage there, more than any 2 cars
would be even better.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: bcroe on December 18, 2014, 05:32:29 PM
At a show, the only prize I want is for the highest mileage there, more than any 2 cars
would be even better.  Bruce Roe 
I am with you Bruce.

I judge a car by the number of stone chips in the paintwork.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon