News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'63 Caddy - Looking for input

Started by revgawright, June 08, 2014, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revgawright

I'm thinking of buying this as a daily driver:

http://www.countryclassiccars.net/html/spcars_157.htm

Plan to head south and look at it sometime this coming week. Thoughts? I know that the pictures aren't the best...
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

From what can be seen, I'd pass; closer examination is not needed.

At most, I see $3K worth of property here. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

I've checked that website a few times. I've noticed a lot of their inventory doesn't move quickly. I see some of the same cars there today as I did four years ago.

Take that as a sign.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

CaddyShackPA

Maybe it's highly negotiable?

Is that a lot of oily grime on the front of the air cleaner - possibly from a LOT of blowby coming out of the breather?

I rather like it - but be very careful... 
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

russ austin

Looks good, but a little rough. Normal wear & tear. Price is high, as stated prev.  I'd look for rust in the front floor pans, trunk area ( rear corners), and under the top trim on the fenders.  That master cylinder looks rather old too. Check the brake hoses for cracks, and check for leaking wheel cylinders.  For a run & drive car, it needs to be good.

For a non AC car, the price is high also.  Better deals can be had, but it is a 6 window sedan.  It all depends on what you want.
R.Austin

revgawright

Thank you all for the clues on what to look for. Still think I'll take a ride on Friday and see it in person. IT's only about 3 hours from me. If what Dan said it true--that there's little turn over there--I guess there's no rush. Can't tell much from a few out of focus pictures. As always, I appreciate all the great advice I receive from this discussion board.

GAW
G. A. Wright

The front end damage would be particularly discouraging to me.

Anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with a battered front end on a Cadillac knows firsthand the nightmare it is to correct. These cars were built with incredibly close tolerances; wiggle room is simply not part of the equation.

Simply put, I cannot see investing the kind of money to sort out a '63 Sedan six window - even if only for a "driver", especially since the asking price is so ridiculously high at the outset. Frankly the seller is asking near convertible money for one in comparable condition in my view, where, your efforts would be much better rewarded.

By all means satisfy your curiosity if you must, but be prepared to walk. My guess is what is visible in the pictures is only the tip of the iceberg - which is usually the case.

FYI: To my eyes, this car squarely fits OCPG's definition of a #4- "GOOD: A drivable vehicle needing no, or only minor work to be functional. Also a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be excellent but the car is mostly usable as is. This is a driver ...from 20 feet away, there is no doubt that it needs a lot of help."

OCPG assigns a value of $3,220 for this model in condition #4 which does not include the damaged front end which further reduces its value.

I agree with Art, probably worth closer to $2,000 - 2,500.

HTH, Eric

62 driver

Wow! That's a lot of money for this car.  I agree with all the above.  Good luck. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Ken Perry

Go to a used car lot and see what $5000 or $6000 will get you? I believe that 63 is worth $3500 to$4500. Look at the dash,door panels,stearing wheel and over all originality of it! Shure it needs some front end work and tlc,but it's worht it. I'm sure somewhere there is a better deal out there on a 63,but transport and finding it? It will never be worth as much as a coupe or convert,but it is still cool! They made a lot less 6W sedans and that top looks more old school than the coupes and 4W sedans.I have a gold one I am fixing up and I wish my dash and steering wheel looked so nice! If you like the car it's worth a look and drive. They are not making any more!!! I believe if you pay a little to much for somthing,but you like it,that's OK ! That is one of the great problems of this country,to many bean counters!Also if you pay a little to much today,give it time, it will be worth more. My friends used to say why are you draging in all those old Cadillacs (You are an Idiot) !Now they say,(You had vision and you are sitting on a gold mine)! I drive a 60 Cad  four door as my every day car,gets me where I need to go! >:D Ken Perry           
Cadillac Ken

revgawright

I've been on the fence about his car for a while. Finally made th drive to Staunton this last weekend. Thought this car would be fun to drive, and maybe rent out for weddings, etc. The money could finance the restoration of my LaSalle. Long story short, all the warning I heard from those who posted were correct. Here is a picture that demonstrate why I'm no longer considering this...

Gary Wright
G. A. Wright

Until the seller divides the asking price by 4, that car is going to remain on the shelf for a very long time.

Many of his other asking prices are equally absurd.

Dan LeBlanc

What was the rest of the inventory like at this place?
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

No no.  I meant condition wise.  Some of the inventory presents well in photos, but I wonder what the condition is in person.  Do they actually have anything even remotely good or is it all overpriced projects?
Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on July 17, 2014, 02:16:03 PM
No no.  I meant condition wise.  Some of the inventory presents well in photos, but I wonder what the condition is in person.  Do they actually have anything even remotely good or is it all overpriced projects?

Well - look at it this way:

Why would they become Robin Hood only sporadically...

My guess is that the outfit is a consignment dealer - given the quantity of inventory and the pricing.

revgawright

Consignment Lot is exactly right. And yes, there were some nice looking cars, but prices are, indeed a bit unrealistic. I saw a 1976 Chevelle that reminded me of my first car. Actually my first car was a 1974, but there was little change in that model except the taillights. Brought back a lot of fond memories. But they were asking about 7K. Way too much for that car. Had fun looking, but didn't see any bargains. Thanks again for all the good advice. It was worth the drive to reminisce a bit.

Gary
G. A. Wright