News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for advice - opinions on 65 Eldorado

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, July 23, 2014, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

Hello all,

I need some advice. I have an opportunity to buy a 1965 Cadillac Edorado, a car I have always wanted. I found one not too far from where I live, close enough to drive home.

The car is:

1965 Cadillac Eldorado
Triple black
Frame and body are immaculate -- no signs of rust at all
Options include:
  Tilt & telescopic steering
  Twilight sentinel
  Air conditioning
  Cruise control
  AM/FM radio

Car runs and drives very well. Starts right, up very soft lifter rattle which goes away when car is moving. Brakes are good. Transmission shifts well. Steering is good. New paint (a pretty good repaint, not perfect) new front seat, new carpets, new tires, new top. Chrome is all good to excellent. All stainless and emblems are intact and in excellent condition.

Problems:
  Odometer does not work  (speedometer is working)
  A/C does not work
  Clock does not work
  Cruise will sometimes fail to disengage when brakes are applied (can be turned off with switch on dashboard)
  Interior lights do not work
  Cornering lights do not work
  Rubber seals on doors are worn out (seals that go between doors and windows)
  Auto parking brake release does nor work
  Wrong trim around wiper switch (should be Tamo wood veneer, is wood grain contact paper)
  Needs new trunk cardboards
  Rubber "gaskets" missing around taillight housings

The car is well-optioned but not overly so. The color combination is nice but a more colorful car might be more desirable,

I really like the car. Seller is asking $25,000 or best offer. I think this is high for two reasons. First of all, 65 Eldorados just don't seem to be getting that kind of money even for solid #2 cars. Second, there is going to be some work that needs to be done to get the car to #2 condition, since there are quite a few things that are inoperative at this time.  I feel like the basics are there, a solid rust-free car, but I am thinking $16,000 - $17,500 would be more in line. I don't want to lose the car but I also don't want to throw my money away. I would very much appreciate opinions and advice on this car.

Thank you

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Lucas Feininger #15674 on July 23, 2014, 10:02:21 PM
Frame and body are immaculate -- no signs of rust at all

Double check under car on left and right side of gas tank....brackets usually rust out on body mount
Options include:
  Tilt & telescopic steering
  Twilight sentinel
  Air conditioning
  Cruise control
  AM/FM radio

Car runs and drives very well. Starts right, up very soft lifter rattle which goes away when car is moving. Brakes are good. Transmission shifts well. Steering is good. New paint (a pretty good repaint, not perfect) new front seat, new carpets, new tires, new top. Chrome is all good to excellent. All stainless and emblems are intact and in excellent condition.

Problems:
  Odometer does not work  (speedometer is working)
Wouldn't trust mileage then of course, but used ones readily available
  A/C does not work
Worse case if you need to buy all of the components in the engine, figure $1200.  This does not include the electrical component and switches.
  Clock does not work
Can find these on ebay often
  Cruise will sometimes fail to disengage when brakes are applied (can be turned off with switch on dashboard)
Never really used on my last 69 Caddy even though it worked, so minor to me :)
  Interior lights do not work
Could be fuse or lights.  rear seat lights in good condition for these are hard to find.  Good rear seat wire harness even harder.  If dash light don't work and not fuses, worse case a wire harness for dash around $550 with a lot of labor 
  Cornering lights do not work
See these on ebay once and a while, worse case if whole assembly as opposed to a fuse, figure around $150
  Rubber seals on doors are worn out (seals that go between doors and windows)
All seals for car readily available, you'll need to search for price
  Auto parking brake release does nor work
better check emergency brake cable too.  Not readily available.  Can find good used release for around $100.  Hard to find ebrake cables.
  Wrong trim around wiper switch (should be Tamo wood veneer, is wood grain contact paper)
See my post on Tamo wood restore.  Not that expensive for supplies, but will be some labor to repair as you prolly won't find one used. 
  Needs new trunk cardboards
Around $800
  Rubber "gaskets" missing around taillight housings
I don't believe have rubber gaskets, as mine don't, but I'll let someone else confirm

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Davidinhartford

Can't go wrong with triple back.    But with those issues you will easily sink thousands into it to fix them all.       I'd don't see anyone dropping from 25K to 15K, but if you met in the middle at $20 you shouldn't lose too much sleep.     Just my $ .02

The Tassie Devil(le)

As the Speedo is working, and the odometer not, then the problem is within the couple of odometer drive and driven gear shafts that will require the speedo being removed, and repaired, or replaced.

As for the rest, and the price, then it is basically, what the owner is willing to come down to, and what you want to pay.

If it is what you really want, then it is up to you.   If you have been looking for one for a long time, then you should be pretty much aware of what they are worth.

Plus, a lot of these little things could just be a matter of maintenance, and checking.   As for A/C, then if it hasn't been working for a while, then you are up for a great cost to convert it to R134a.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Lucas

Glad to read you are considering the purchase of a Cadillac.

From your preliminary assessment it sounds like you will have to sink 5-10k to make this a #2 condition car.  Please be mindful that you are searching for your DREAM CONVERTIBLE in the summer time when prices are at their peak.  Also did you examine the body with a Fender Splendor to detect paint to metal thickness?  In addition, did you do a compression check on the engine?

Don't chase a dream that could be a nightmare?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

Though it seems to have a lot of "little" issues, they will take a lot of time and money to fix. That's if you do it yourself. If you farm it out you will be out at least as much as you just spent for the car. Things you already have heard and already know.

If you are willing to spend $25K-$30K you can do a whole lot better than this car. From what you described, it should be in the $16K-$18K range. But I think the '65-'66 Eldorados are starting to get some much deserved respect in the market lately. They are nice driving cars and the last of their kind for the model.
Chris Conklin

Lucas Feininger #15674

Thank you all for your opinions.

Chuck -- Thank you for your very detailed thoughts. Much appreciated. I had a few questions for you:
• Your Eldorado does NOT have the rubber gaskets between taillight housing and rear fender? I'm pretty sure I have seen those on Fleetwoods but maybe the Eldorados did not have them.
• Are 65 convertile rear courtesy light lens same on de Ville and Eldorado (lens on rear side panels)?

Chris -- you make very good points RE costs. Both my other collector cars (63 Series 62 convertible, 65 Sedan de Ville have consumed at least their original purchase price in repairs and improvements. The convertible has probably got twice what I paid for it in it at this point… I'm glad i'm not the only person to appreciate the excellent road manners of the 65-66 Cadillacs. To me they represent a quantum leap in car design for Cadillac with their improved frames and cooling systems and of course the TH400. Plus I really like the styling, although it does not appeal to everyone.

C.R -- I did not have an opportunity to check paint thickness or compression. Not sure the seller would go for that anyway (it's a private sale). You make a good point about timing -- fall is usually a better time to buy an old car when owners are faced with another winter of storage.

Bruce, thank you for confirming what I suspect will need to be done -- removal of the speedometer head and repairing the gear on the odometer. The A/C would be a low priority but eventually I would like to get it running.

David, your comment is well taken. If I do decide to buy the car I see $20K as my top-end offer. I can do some of the work myself; I was not expecting to find a perfectly restored 100-point car (not sure one even exists). Even the parts I may need to track down + replace (speedometer head, courtesy light lens, rubber etc.) are not Eldorado-specific. The fundamentals are there with this car, good solid car, would pass inspection and can easily be enjoyed with its faults.

Thanks again for all replies.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Lucas Feininger #15674 on July 24, 2014, 07:01:58 PM
Thank you all for your opinions.

Chuck -- Thank you for your very detailed thoughts. Much appreciated. I had a few questions for you:
• Your Eldorado does NOT have the rubber gaskets between taillight housing and rear fender? I'm pretty sure I have seen those on Fleetwoods but maybe the Eldorados did not have them.
• Are 65 convertible rear courtesy light lens same on de Ville and Eldorado (lens on rear side panels)?

Mine does NOT have the rubber gaskets.  I don't recall seeing on Fleetwoods, and I don't think the info is in the authenticity manual.   Maybe someone can confirm.

Rear courtesy light lens looks the same as my 66 DeVille.  Lens reproduced, but not assembly.  Chuck

Thanks again for all replies.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

cadillacjim

Eldorado has chrome trim on the body around the taillights, deVille and Calais have rubber gaskets on the body.

1956 VW Drag Car
1961 VW Bug Ragtop
1965 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1965 Cadillac Sedan deVille   SOLD
1966 Cadillac deVille convertible project   
1968 Chevy El camino
1995 Nissan Hardbody show truck
1998 VW GTI VR6   SOLD

Richardonly

Just something to compare it to..  NOT MY CAR or any affiliation to this company.

http://www.fioremotorclassics.com/dealer/show.php?id=258&p=50&page=1&srt=added DESC

If this seller would go down to 35K, is it worth not having it in repair shops all the time as soon as you get it?

Mayne a CLC member in the area could check it out for you.

Good luck either way.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: cadillacjim on July 25, 2014, 01:19:24 AM
Eldorado has chrome trim on the body around the taillights, deVille and Calais have rubber gaskets on the body.

To confirm Jim,  knew that for '66, but can you confirm '65 the same on Eldos/Fleetwood----no rubber gasket.  90% sure, but would be nice to see a 65 close up pic too :)  Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Lucas Feininger #15674

Thank you for the repipes.

George -- you make a good point. It's going to take some money and work to make this car right. I like working on my cars so the labor isn't really an issue, but there are some things this car is going to need that are going to take some time and patience. As far as I can tell the car is certainly drivable and I would enjoy it for the rest of the season and then get busy in the spring. Looking at at least a month to get the major things done (window seals, odometer, lights, clock, trunk). A/C and cruise are longer-term although eventually I want to get them done too.

Richard -- your theory is very intriguing. Why not start with a #1 or strong #2 car instead of a car that is going to need some work. I'll have to think about that, The price differential is significant but I need to see what I can do about tha

Again, thanks to all for your advice.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

66 Eldo

If the body and frame are as solid and rust free as you say then it may be worth going 20k.

I have seen many restored cars that had nice paint and everything worked but upon close inspection there were panels patched and other evidence of rust and body repairs. IMO the body is the most important. Mechanical items can be fixed,  but you're stuck with the body and frame.

cadillacjim

Quote from: Chaz Swansen on July 25, 2014, 05:52:05 PM
To confirm Jim,  knew that for '66, but can you confirm '65 the same on Eldos/Fleetwood----no rubber gasket.  90% sure, but would be nice to see a 65 close up pic too :)  Thanks, Chuck

Here is a Buddys 65 Eldo
1956 VW Drag Car
1961 VW Bug Ragtop
1965 Cadillac Sedan deVille   SOLD
1966 Cadillac deVille convertible project   
1968 Chevy El camino
1995 Nissan Hardbody show truck
1998 VW GTI VR6   SOLD

Lucas Feininger #15674

Chaz --

Do you know who sells the reproduction rear courtesy light lens for 65-66 convertibles?

Thank you
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Lucas Feininger #15674

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado