News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Im curious to what people think a 100 point 61 CDV is worth?

Started by collector, March 26, 2008, 12:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny F #662

Quote from: collector on March 27, 2008, 01:03:16 AM
Im talking about buying the car, its not mine. I find people get way off the subject when a question is asked and the sad thing is when you can't find something nice to say to try to find fault. I have NEVER ever seen a nicer one anywhere, and Ive looked at a ton. These cars are either over restored or junk. I actually have found that to be true in most cases even at the best car shows. Im sorry if that sounds rude but it's like saying, Your pretty, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you need a noise job or your eyes aren't blue enough or something like that. I asked you people how much is it worth and showed you pics and this is where it went. I see this happen to almost every single post, it starts out as a question or a comment and then it is twisted until, your talking about something not even related to the subject at all. Im sorry but it's the truth.

If nothing else this thread has shown the frivolity of judging cars.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: wrefakis on March 26, 2008, 08:58:46 PM
this car is restored,the leater used in 61 was a much thicker leather than is made today,and the high metallic content of the paint was not offered on 61 cars,nice car though
I have had a look at the pictures, and unless I am totally mistaken, the Front Seat appears to have been reupholstered, possibly to the original pattern, but not identical.

The stitching appears to be incorrect, and therefore, there is no way it could be referred to as anything like even a 98 point car.

But, that is my opinion, for what it is worth.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   And yes, lots of us will pick and prod, but that is the way the Human race is.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrefakis

I will stand on my comments,get your color chip from 61 up to the car,and after looking at them from 61 up,and owning 100's of them,I suggest that you post a photo of your body tag,this will serve to detail the car's history,Hey,soth paw,you know the old paints,what do you think? Bill

wrefakis

in my effort to be fair,I have taken a look at your photos again,look at the fender bolts,they are gold,post your body tag we can decode the car,the car is really nice,someone put a ton of effort and money in it,but i'll bet mey reputation on it,it is restored!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: wrefakis on March 27, 2008, 02:53:48 PM
in my effort to be fair,I have taken a look at your photos again,look at the fender bolts,they are gold,post your body tag we can decode the car,the car is really nice,someone put a ton of effort and money in it,but i'll bet mey reputation on it,it is restored!

Curious that you are so quick to criticize this car, but are so willing to defend the '53 Eldo.

wrefakis

I like this car,the "collector" that posted the 100 point statement has just overdescribed the car,on ebay there is a 64 with 32k original  miles you can see the bolts that hold the front fender on are not body color,and i'd still like to see the body tag,I just do not like 2 stage paint and thin leather,period,

Johnny F #662

Quote from: refakis on March 27, 2008, 03:30:08 PM
I like this car,the "collector" that posted the 100 point statement has just overdescribed the car,on eBay there is a 64 with 32k original  miles you can see the bolts that hold the front fender on are not body color,and I'd still like to see the body tag,I just do not like 2 stage paint and thin leather,period,

I can agree with that, in fact that cars that I gravitate toward the most, are the "original" ones with all their flaws from the factory.  I have always said that anyone can have a "100 point" car, if they are willing to spend whatever it takes.

wrefakis

Last comment here,61-64 are the same in terms of the front end,and type of leather used,I owned a 64 dvc with 5700 original miles,our former president,richard sills owned it prior,the leather in it had certain wear from age,and even with 5700 miles,and spending 19 years off the ground on a lift,you still had strees lines in the leather,one look at that wonderfull new thin leather,without a single entry stress line is all I need to know it's new,ditto the high gloss metallic paint,get your color chips,that paint is new 2 stage,and if you think I am 2 rough on this,look at the 64 sdv on ebay,the fenders on these cars were painted off the car,then hung,bolts were never painted,look at the seat of my 10k 70 on photo gallery,even it shows seating stress lines,this 61 althogh nice,is your basic restored car,if you like em,buy em,I like that beat up old beast,and any big bucks guy can make a 61,but how many original 53,or my favorite 59's can you buy right now at any price??????? nuff said,bring back tessio!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: South_paw on March 27, 2008, 07:09:47 PM
Quote from: refakis on March 27, 2008, 10:04:12 AM
I will stand on my comments,get your color chip from 61 up to the car,and after looking at them from 61 up,and owning 100's of them,I suggest that you post a photo of your body tag,this will serve to detail the car's history,Hey,South paw,you know the old paints,what do you think? Bill

I agree. The flakes are too large to be an original finish. You can see what Bill & I are talking about in this picture
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/jirutenberg/61Cadilllac031.jpg

The flakes should be smaller and barely visible(if at all) from that distance.

Lou 

You know it just occurred to me that quite possibly the owner of this car isn't a member of the CLC, and if by chance they read these posts, the last thing they would want to do is join the club.  They spent a good buck to purchase this car, they get it home to show their friends and families with great amount of pride.  Then they come to this board, and hear about how the battery isn't correct, the leather is too thick or thin, bolts shouldn't be painted etc etc etc.  Talk about being a wet blanket!  It's no wonder many people have no desire to join the club.

John Fotakis #23436

I tend to agree. Too often people describe their cars as conours etc. when clearly they are not, and it is an eye opener to see juat what 100 points entails.  I think this particular car is wonderful and if  I could get my own 61 to this level I would be happy indeed. Unfotumately I've just applied the CLC harsh [ but fair ] judging criteria to my car and I came up with  -2 .  Does this make it  a Lincoln ?

Johnny F #662

Quote from: South_paw on March 27, 2008, 08:16:20 PM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 27, 2008, 07:58:00 PM
You know it just occurred to me that quite possibly the owner of this car isn't a member of the CLC, and if by chance they read these posts, the last thing they would want to do is join the club.  They spent a good buck to purchase this car, they get it home to show their friends and families with great amount of pride.  Then they come to this board, and hear about how the battery isn't correct, the leather is too thick or thin, bolts shouldn't be painted etc etc etc.  Talk about being a wet blanket!  It's no wonder many people have no desire to join the club.

John,
The only reason the battery, paint & leather was brought up was because of the claim from the potential buyer that the car is a 100 point/ #1 car. If anything came out of this, it is that perhaps members and non members alike would come away with a better understanding of the term  "100 point/ #1 car".  IMHO, a shining moment for the club.

Lou     

Point well taken, but unfortunately as true as that might be, the other side of the coin, is that the grading of a car has caused much unhappiness with owners, who don't take it as constructive criticism. 

wrefakis

Wet blanket,beat guy's up about the cars to point they would not join????? john,you called the 53 a junker,I loved it from the get go,and would welcome it's owner as a real cadillac lover who enjoys and preserves a piece of cadillac history,this other auction guy loudmouth MY CAR IS THE ONLY 100 POINT ONE IN THE WORLD,let him post the data plate to that car,and as the nice guys we are,we will decode it for him,by the way,is he a member,or just looking for auction price guide services?????

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

John (Collector) is a fully-fledged CLC Member of long standing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrefakis

then he knows that 100 point claim is over the top,I would always be willing to decode a car if provided with the trim tag,and I admit.that best in the world 100 point bit is a sore spot with me,as after searching out 59 eldo's for 20+ years,I would not know what the "best in the world is" got a call one time from marv(LUVDG OF EBAY FAME) yelling at me telling me if I had the #$*&%$# money,he had the "BEST 70 CONVERT IN THE WORLD" at that point,I informed him that I had 2 one with 5k orig miles,and one with 10k orig miles,SILENCE!!!! Guess,it was not quite that good??? This is why I took the side of the beat 53 eldo,this guy loves it for what it is,and does not go to shows,or tout his car as 100 point,or best in the world.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: refakis on March 28, 2008, 07:45:25 AM
Wet blanket,beat guy's up about the cars to point they would not join????? john,you called the 53 a junker,I loved it from the get go,and would welcome it's owner as a real Cadillac lover who enjoys and preserves a piece of Cadillac history,this other auction guy loudmouth MY CAR IS THE ONLY 100 POINT ONE IN THE WORLD,let him post the data plate to that car,and as the nice guys we are,we will decode it for him,by the way,is he a member,or just looking for auction price guide services?????

There you go again, putting words in my mouth.  I never referred to the Eldo as a junker, in fact my feelings were quite the contrary.  I see the vehicle as a exceptionally well preserved specimen of a '53 Eldo, that, unlike other finds, is quite restorable.  Unlike other finds, which sometimes have trees growing out of them, this appears to have most if not all of its exterior trim and chrome, and in very good condition.  If someone wants to restore this car, they don't have to go on much of a treasure hunt to find parts, and parts for this model come at a premium, due to the fact that many are "one of".  My only thoughts and concern are for the eventual fate of this car, once it passes from the hands of the present owner.  I would have no problem with the present owner preserving the car in its present state, but it appears from the way he presents the car, he has no real interest in the car, other then feeding his ego.

John Morris #23947

Picky and petty?? Come now Collector, you are the one who said no. 1 condition. If you had not said that, then nobody would be pointing out no. 2 conditions. Seeing only the 1 picture, my opinion would be no. 2 condition, or 2 and 1/2. A no. 2 would have virtually zero miles on a complete restoration frame off, not 40k road miles. Very very few rotisserie restorations end up no. 1. 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

collector

Just and update my 61 that was so highly critized for the small things like correct battery etc sold for in the mid 40k range so I guess someone knew a good thing when they saw it

XGLEGAL

If true/accurate, then a hearty congrats to the seller!!!  Not even the much more sought-after 59 CDV will get into the mid-40s regularly. 
My personal (and late and irrelevant) guess would have been $15k-$20k tops. 
Xavier A. Gutierrez, Esq.  CLC # 24068
1957 Ser. 62 Conv.
1957 Eldo Biarritz
1957 CDV
1961 Ser. 62 Conv.

DinoBob

I agree. $20K or so would have been my guess for this car. '61 is just not as desirable as a '59-'60. And I also agree that 100-point and #1 are very abused terms. Very very few cars reach that level. I have recently seen a 2,048 mile original 1960 CDV that may qualify.

Collector, if you are asking for appraisals on cars, you have to deal withthe criticism that comes. It's natural for heated discussions to occur because we are talking about financials here, and appraisals, both condition and value-wise, affect the market as a whole. You have to expect strong opinions and ruffled feathers.
Bob Belloff

Chris Conklin

Quote from: collector on July 23, 2009, 04:12:50 AMsold for in the mid 40k range so I guess someone knew a good thing when they saw it

Just to keep the feathers ruffled...  ;D Perhaps it shows that they didn't know much?  ;)

How was the car sold? Auction or did you sell it private party? Just curious.
Chris Conklin