News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Convertible Frame Off Restoration Link

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, December 19, 2008, 06:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Coupe

Beautiful car. Thank-you for the posting the link. I plan on saving most of the rstoration pics in case I ever take on the '49 Olds 98 convertible project I have. Basically the same body, frame, suspension etc.
It appears they did not put any additional bracing in the door openings before lifting the body off the chassis. If that was the case they were fortunate the doors still fit even if the floor was in good shape.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

BJM

I have a question on the body off 'buck'.  I used a wooden framed contraption that worked reasonably well to remove 3 heavy coupe bodies.  (A 1949 Buick Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette / 1963 Pontiac Bonneville / 1968 Buick Riviera) It had to be reinforced. It was built with 4x4 posts and 2x4's. It was stationary. I will forward a photo of the buck later.  I used two come-a-alongs in front and two in rear.  I was never entirely comfortable the whole thing wouldn't collapse and kill me.  But obviously I never got under it.

I noticed that on the 49 Sedanette, the rear axle kick up caused me the most problems. I had to really raise the body in order to push the frame out the front.  Other then that it lifted off pretty easily and cleared the front easily. But that rear frame kick up caused me some adreneline rushes.

Next I lowered it onto a wooden cart that served to push it around. This was constructed with 2x4's - cross braced with heavy bolts like yours but not nearly as fancy.  Mine had huge casters on it - metal - because my driveway was gravel or dirt. My idea was to park the bodies on the north side of my garage and restore the chassis 1st, which I did.

My problem was a total disintegration of the cart. The casters had 4 attaching holes, which I used four large rough wood screws with 5/8 inch heads on them and thought I was set. The cart twisted and eventually the casters twisted, turned and off they went. I was able to get all 3 bodies in their resting places but the cart was toast. YOUR cart looks like it served BOTH purposes and stayed together just fine, yet it is made of wood and  2. has small casters.

I will study your photos and try to copy your pattern as I have sold all of my cars and want my next 3-4 restorations to be body off and be able to move them around. How did you "safely" get the body lifted off and then how did you get the restored frame under the body?