News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Show me your whitewalls!

Started by 03vorteczr2, October 20, 2009, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Juan,

Aren't you the guy that was raising spiders under your car a while back? The car looks great. I assume you got the carb situation straightened out.

Of course if I'm confusing you with someone else, ignore all this.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Richard Sills - CLC #936

The correct tire for a 1959 Cadillac is 8.20 x 15 with a 2-1/4 inch whitewall.  The original tires were manufactured by either U.S. Royal, Firestone or Goodrich.  I believe the B.F. Goodrich Silvertown tires in the correct size are still available through antique auto tire suppliers. 

The data book indicates that 8.00 x 15 tires are used when blackwalls are specified, but I have not seen any 1959 Cadillacs so equipped.   

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

Quote from: Greg McDonnell on October 21, 2009, 08:28:27 PM
Firestone 721 radials with the correct whitewall width on my '77 Seville...

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841

Greg, are these Firestone 721s still available?  Can you give me the width of the whitewall?  I have seen advertised 1.3" whitewalls on replacements which I think are the correct tire for 76-79 Sevilles.
M Brittan

Otto Skorzeny

Firestone 721s haven't been made since 1989 or so. They were also the subject of tread separation problems, lawsuits, etc.
fward

J Kjerrulf

Firestone 8.90-15 and 5" www. Not absolutely correct for a 1957 Eldo but I like it, my home is a radial-free zone. 8)
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on April 01, 2010, 03:05:55 PM
Firestone 721s haven't been made since 1989 or so. They were also the subject of tread separation problems, lawsuits, etc.

Correct on all counts! :D  Believe me when I say I was, at the least, a bit apprehensive driving the car home (Mobile, AL) from the transport truck's drop off point (Moultrie, GA).  Aside from the four lane from Moultrie to Tallahassee, FL, the rest was I-10 at 70+mph-YIKES!  But, the tires gave me no problems whatsoever-guess luck and good fortune were with me that day! 

Greg McDonnell
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: Michael Brittan CLC #2750 on April 01, 2010, 12:13:48 PM
Greg, are these Firestone 721s still available?  Can you give me the width of the whitewall?  I have seen advertised 1.3" whitewalls on replacements which I think are the correct tire for 76-79 Sevilles.

Michael,

Yes, these are Firestone 721s.  Probably replaced in the early Nineties.  No, the 721s are not available any longer (due primarily to the reasons stated by Forrest in his earlier post).  I'll get an accurate measurement of the whitewall width and let you know later today.

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Dan LeBlanc

Since the topic is back, here's my 61 Fleetwood Sixty Special with 3 1/2" Remington Cushion Aire tires.  They're old as the hills but just like brand new with no cracking whatsoever.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

cadillac-ray/5360S

Chris,
Your '53 is quite a looker! I'm sure she makes heads turn wherever she goes. I don't have much to add but I did find the following Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewall_tire
I need to clean my whitewalls on my '53 Fleetwood 60S for an upcoming car show in Kingwood, Texas, and I need to know which products to use.
Thanks,
Ray Guard

P.S. Does anyone remember Portawalls ???  Check out: http://www.portawalls.com/
Check out my new Cadillac website: http://www.1953cadillac.com
I have collected in this site some of the general, technical, and published data for the '53. But, I have also added several diversions as well. I love all things Cadillac, and I hope you enjoy this single-year tribute site!
Ray Guard              (this website was first posted April 2010)

Don Rundgren

It took quite awhile to get them but I now have new Firestones on my 32. Thanks to Wallace Wade in Dallas!
Don
McKinney, Texas

Quote from: Greg McDonnell on April 03, 2010, 11:52:38 AM
Michael,

Yes, these are Firestone 721s.  Probably replaced in the early Nineties.  No, the 721s are not available any longer (due primarily to the reasons stated by Forrest in his earlier post).  I'll get an accurate measurement of the whitewall width and let you know later today.

Greg
Hi Greg:
Did you ever get a chance to measure the whitewall width?
Thanks, Michael
M Brittan

Greg McDonnell

Hi Michael,

My apologies for not getting this information to you more promptly.  I kept forgetting to take the measurement when I was at my shop where the car is stored. 

The whitewall measures 1.25" exactly.  I have another Cadillac the previous owner installed Broadway Classics (radials) on and the whitewall width is identical.  I mention this as a possible replacement for the 721s that are no longer being manufactured. 

HTH :D

Best regards,

Greg McDonnell
'77 Seville and others...
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Dave and Deb

Diamondback 235/75/15 - 3.5"ww

Dave & Deb
(Australia)

1958 series 75 9 passenger sedan
1959 series 62 six window sedan
1960 series 62 convertible
Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Quote from: Greg McDonnell on April 06, 2010, 07:57:09 PM
Hi Michael,

My apologies for not getting this information to you more promptly.  I kept forgetting to take the measurement when I was at my shop where the car is stored. 

The whitewall measures 1.25" exactly.  I have another Cadillac the previous owner installed Broadway Classics (radials) on and the whitewall width is identical.  I mention this as a possible replacement for the 721s that are no longer being manufactured. 

HTH :D

Best regards,

Greg McDonnell
'77 Seville and others...

Thanks Greg.   Just to check, the correct radial size for the 76 - 79 Seville is 215/75/15.  Is that right, including for the factory wire wheels?
M Brittan

03vorteczr2

Quote from: cadillac-ray/5360S on April 06, 2010, 02:44:05 AM
Chris,
Your '53 is quite a looker! I'm sure she makes heads turn wherever she goes. I don't have much to add but I did find the following Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewall_tire
I need to clean my whitewalls on my '53 Fleetwood 60S for an upcoming car show in Kingwood, Texas, and I need to know which products to use.
Thanks,
Ray Guard

P.S. Does anyone remember Portawalls ???  Check out: http://www.portawalls.com/

Thanks Ray for the compliment! Post some pictures of your fleetwood if you get a chance. Would like to see it... I just use sos pads to clean the whitewalls on my car but im sure there are lots of cleaners that would work.

Thanks everyone for posting pictures of your cars. Alot of beautiful cars out there!! Lets keep them coming!

Chris
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: Michael Brittan CLC #2750 on April 09, 2010, 06:15:19 PM
Thanks Greg.   Just to check, the correct radial size for the 76 - 79 Seville is 215/75/15.  Is that right, including for the factory wire wheels?

Michael,

Yes, 215/75/15 is the correct size tire for the '76-'79 Sevilles.  I am not sure regarding the factory wire wheels but I will check with a friend who has them on his '78 and see.  I did a quick check on the Internet and found Broadway Classics are still available and in the size you will need.

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote : I need to clean my whitewalls on my '53 Fleetwood 60S for an upcoming car show in Kingwood, Texas, and I need to know which products to use.
Thanks,
Ray Guard

Ray. I recently cleaned my 5" WW's with Comet and a sponge . They came out near Perfect :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

Westley's Bleche-Wite is by far the easiest and best product I have ever used for white walls. It won't discolor them either. If the Comet has bleach in it you might get yellowing. Comet is also pretty abrasive.
fward

eldo59

Is there a tire place that sell whitewalls in the NY/NJ area??
Mauro Bonfitto

Otto Skorzeny

Lucas, Coker and Diamondback will ship tires to you. The last time I hade this done it was about $35 for a set of 4. Then all you have to do is find a decent shop to mount them.
fward