News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 cadillac rear fender extensions.

Started by R Schroeder, July 26, 2010, 04:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Lange

My mistake. E&K. My only point here was, and still is that I was that I'm very  :-\satisfied with Replica Plastics.

R Schroeder

Second set is due in today. We will see how they are.
Roy

R Schroeder

Second set came and from the looks of them , they could be originals. Man, what a difference. I think they were trying to deal with a second rate company, on the first set.
From the looks of them they should fit. Will know by the end of tomorrow morning.
I dont know why they just didnt send these out to begin with.
More tomorrow.
Roy

R Schroeder

Well, I mounted the extensions on the car. They are going to look very nice. Good fit compared to the junk he first sent.
Be aware that there are these junk fitting extensions out there.
E&K made good on there parts , but I dont know if the hassle is worth it.
Roy

Otto Skorzeny

I'd call them back and let them know about the huge difference. Could the other ones have been for a different year or different car?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

R Schroeder

No Otto, they were just made real bad. I mean REAL BAD.
I plan to call them and let them know that these are good.
Here is a picture of them on. I know it isnt the best picture, but its all I have.
Since I took them off, I have wet sanded and filled in some small defects. they look good.

R Schroeder

The shame of it is they were nice , before I used wax remover on them. That wrecked the paint. Then when I took them off they split. Cant win.....ha
This picture is from when I bought the car.

Otto Skorzeny

Those do look good. Too bad about the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation with the originals. That always happens. Are the new ones rigid or flexible?
fward

R Schroeder

The new ones are ABS plastic, and are rigid.  The old were rubber, that rotted and fell apart.

One final note on the dealer.
I called him to tell him i was now happy. I told him if it were me I wouldnt sell the bad ones from the first company. The second company was a much better supplier.
The guy then tells me it was a die problem , and that they were made from the same die. BS - Nothing was the same on these.
Folks, I have been a machinists for 40 years. I worked next to the tool and die guys. These were not from the same die. They were not even close in how they were made.
He had to lie about it, so he probably could keep selling the poorly made ones. I was very disapointed that he tried to snow me again. I thought he would say that he wasnt going to buy from that vendor, but no he has to BS me again.
If this is how he wants to do business, then I wont recommend him to anyone.
Roy

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Glad to hear your persistance worked out.  Way to go......I need replacements for my trunk to bumper fillers on a 75 Eldorado Convertible.....so which is the good vendor to go with?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Otto Skorzeny

That's the dilemma. He got crappy parts the first time and excellent parts the second time - both from the same vendor.
fward

R Schroeder

BRIAN - Thanks, I like it. Wife and I were married in Dec of 77. This model had just come out, and I always liked the style. Finally got one.

JEFF - thats why I started the posting. Didn't ever get a real good answer. I wanted to talk to someone who bought them for a 78 Caddy. I still dont know who to recommend.
I did buy the wood grain piece that goes around the horn pad from Auto Body Fillers.
I Didn't buy the fender extensions from them, because they show a 6 piece set at there web site. I should have called , because they do sell the extensions separate.
I would have ordered from them ,had I gotten another bad set. Thats all I can say.

OTTO - Your right. It would be hard to deal with him, and get good ones , in my book.
Nice ride you have there Otto. Saw the car in the white wall posting.

Called the body shop, and they will take them tomorrow. So, there going over there first thing.
Pictures to follow when I get them back.
Here is one of them ( picture ) wet sanded and glazed . I'll let the body shop take it from here.

R Schroeder

Parts should be back from painter tomorrow. Mid week at the latest.

R Schroeder

Well, I got the parts back. Just a little darker , but I was warned they might not be perfect, because of the 32 year difference in the paint.  I have pictures of the originals and there a shade off too, so I'll live with it.

Otto Skorzeny

Well done. Persistence seems to have paid off.
fward

bill henry

did your paint suppier run a prophet on the paint? still it looks great!
Bill Henry

R Schroeder

Probably Bill.
Here is the same angle on the car with the original extensions. They were reflecting light different too.

Otto Skorzeny

Looks practically identical to the originals. I wonder if the paint fades less on the plastic for some reason.
fward

R Schroeder

Dont know , but thats the way it is ...