News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Series 62 Restoration

Started by davidkay57, November 11, 2010, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidkay57

So here starts a long story of the restoration of my 57 Series 62 convert.  I bought the car about 3 1/2 years ago with the intent of having a pretty good daily driver in the summer (see pics); the only work I was going to do was pull the engine and do a engine compartment and engine detail. As you can see from the phots the car looked pretty good on the surface; and like a novice, I bought it online with only using pictures to evaluate.  After the car arrived, I was furious with the seller and tried to return it but he would not take it back of course, but finally offered to refund $1400 of the purchase price. A small token as far as I was concerned for the actual condition of the car. I began to tinker with the car and realized this was going to need a full restoration to be the kind of car I really wanted.  So here the story begins...... Shop number one. pulled the engine and trans, strips the paint, and removes EVERYTHING so I have a shell of a car.  I started on the machine work for the engine and rebuilt the trans.  The body had some rust on the side spears and needed the rockers replaced; I found a donor car here in Utah with no rust at all and used it to repair the body of my car including a bent fin that had been bondo'ed.  The engine work was completed and were into this now 10 months and I am thinking we can start to re-assemble!  Ha !  The car sat for over a full year with virtually no progress; I finally got frustrated and took the car to shop number two. I will write part two and show pics of the car at that stage in my next post.
57 Series 62 Convertible
57 Chevrolet Belair 2x4
69 Camaro

davidkay57

Lots of promises and little progress is how I would describe the second shop that worked on the car. They did some minor body work and got the car ready to take off the frame, removed the gas take, brake lines etc. and this is where the car stalled.... I was not so patient this time around and yanked the car after 4 months as they tried to juggle their priorirtes in their shop.  Shop number three (and final shop where the car currently is being finished - see SLCKustoms.com ). They pulled the body had the frame powder coated and the car undercoated body color (which will be Orion Blue)- the car finally was progressing and I then had a huge change of heart.  After spending some time driving my 56 Crown Victoria and 57 Chev Belair (both 100% original)  I decided I wanted the Cadillac to drive, accelerate, handle and stop better than a 1950's car.  So, I made the difficult decision to modify the Cadillac. The car was originally white with red leather and a black top, I bought it red with white and red interior and a white top. I decided I wanted the car Orion Blue with all medium blue leather and a medium blue top. I have only seen one other car with this combinatoin it sold in California several years ago from the orignal owners family. (i know the purists may stop reading at this stage) however, I proceeded and put a Fatman front suspension in, updated rear suspension, installed 4 wheel discs and bought a drive train from a 2006 Cadillac Escalade for the car.  The shop installed the new wiring harnesses and the car was coming along nicely.  The main body of the car was painted in June 2010 and looks fabulous.. End of part 2.  Ceeers,  Dave
57 Series 62 Convertible
57 Chevrolet Belair 2x4
69 Camaro

rich58caddy

david, i was very interested in you comments on the 57 caddy. i bought a 58 under similar circumstances except mine still sits after 3 shops. you have done the same upgrades to your 57 that i want. not so much originality as function. could you give me an idea of what the brakes, suspension, and drive train cost, how does it run, would you do it again, and supplies if possible. i've had my 58 for 4 years now and its no closer to being driveable than walking to the moon... thanx  rich