News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 49 Fleetwood restoration

Started by jyinger, April 20, 2011, 01:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyinger

Well, she arrived yesterday from New Mexico.  Her name, tentatively, is Lily (short for Lapis Lazuli).

This is going to be a frame-off restoration, so we know it will take a long time.  I hope I won't
alienate everyone, but my intention is to put a 4.6L Northstar engine with 6-speed automatic
into Lilly with modern components (12 volt alternator, disc brakes, power steering, a/c compressor,
power steering etc), but keep her looking absolutely original--exterior (Triumph Blue paint) and
interior (mohair upholstery, everything).  Even the original steering wheel will be original.

So, you'll only suspect something is funny if you open the hood.

OK, let's see if I can attach a couple of photos....

Jon Yinger

A. Amman #15293

jyinger,

Great looking car and a Fleetwood to boot; it doesn't get much better than that!  I think that the modern drive train has merit, but would hold on to the original just in case you change your mind at some point.  Stuff continues to get more scarce as the years pass by.

Looking forward to seeing your project under way!

Anthony Amman #15293

Glen

QuoteSo, you'll only suspect something is funny if you open the hood.

Not really, as soon as you start the engine anybody that knows old cars will know the engine is modern.  From the sound of the starter to the sound of the exhaust, it will be obvious.   :) :)

There are no pictures under the hood and from the front it looks like there is no engine in it now.   Is that correct or a figment of my imagination? 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a classy 2 tone paint combo for a 60S.

Click on pic to enlarge.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

49 Coupe De Ville.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Dartmouth Green.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Don Boshara #594

Except for the cheapest cars, mohair pretty well died in the 30s. Check out wool broadcloth for that interior.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

jyinger

I will keep the original drivetrain.

Better than that, Lilly has an identical twin (I'm looking for a name, maybe Miss Betsy) is is next in line, and she will be absolutely stock.

Here are two photos of Lily's twin....
Jon Yinger

jyinger

My flirtation with the 4.6L Northstar was short-lived.  Lilly is now getting the full, frame-off, 331ci restoration she deserves.  With only a few modifications:  disc brakes in the front, 12-volt conversion with an alternator (probably he expensive one built into the old generator housing), and Pertronix ignition.

But other than that, stock.

Comments?
Jon Yinger